Try these keto banana muffins with your low carb breakfast or serve them up as a snack. Low carb muffins made with almond flour with true banana flavor at only 2g net carbs. Perfect for muffin loves with crunchy walnuts.
People go crazy over my keto banana nut bread. So, in response I felt the need to make gluten free muffins in return. Unlike the bread these are for beginner cooks. I saw some people having a hard time with the bread and these are quick in the oven. Originally I wanted to do crumb style like my apple muffins but I kept it OG in the end. Topped off with walnuts as well to get that true banana effect. Surprisingly, the walnuts keep the extract from overpowering the recipe and makes the taste much smoother!
How To Make Keto Banana Muffins
- Blanched Almond Flour
- Coconut Flour
- Keto Sweetener
- Baking Powder
- Banana Extract
- Chopped Walnuts
- Walnuts are key in flavor. The walnuts calm down the strength in the extract. This gives the almond flour banana muffins a true banana flavor without tasting fake.
- Melt down your butter and preheat your oven.
- Combine your gluten free flours. This recipe uses blanched almond flour and coconut flour. These two gives a true texture to the muffins. You’ll fool anyone with these.
- Add in your granulated sweetener, cinnamon and baking powder. Next, mix eggs into melted butter and add banana extract with liquid sweetener.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients then fold in walnuts. Then, spoon into muffins tins and shake down the batter. Just drop the cup on the counter a few times to allow the batter to settle evenly. You will have at least 7 muffins at 3g net carbs each.
- Lastly, bake for 25 minutes then allow the keto muffins to cool. Enjoy!
Helpful Recipe Tips
- Can I sub coconut flour? You can remove the coconut flour but you can not swap the almond flour for coconut flour. The almond flour is the structure of the entire muffins. If you need coconut flour muffins I have a great strawberry one.
- Where to find the extract? I haven’t found banana extract in stores but I order mine from Amazon.
- You can swap the walnuts with pecans or chocolate chips.
How To Store
These keto banana muffins will keep for about 3 days if you leave them on the counter. However, if you put them in the fridge they can last up to 2 weeks with no issues. You can also freeze them as well in a airtight storage container. Due to the softness of the banana muffins I wouldn’t vacuum seal them.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Are Bananas Keto Friendly
No, stay clear of bananas if you’re on the keto diet. As delicious as they are and loaded with potassium they are also full of sugar. Just one banana can have 24g of sugar in it. Whoa! That’s way past the standard 20g net carbs that we get on the keto diet. Unless, you’re on a paleo diet then feel free to add them in the mix.
Could I use ripe bananas?
This has been a very popular question and I see more people adding bananas into their “keto” recipes. You know what, I am all for it! Yes you can, simply add in 1 banana into the existing keto banana muffin recipe. You don’t need to change anything just add the banana.
Is banana extract or any extract keto friendly?
So, this is a tricky question because extracts don’t contain carbs. Flavorings will sometimes have sugar added but extracts you are find. Extracts are what I would call dirty keto because the ingredients aren’t the best but it won’t kick you out of ketosis.
What to eat with keto banana muffins?
Amazing Keto Tricks: How To Make The Best Banana Muffins
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sweetener
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon banana extract
- 3 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F and melt butter
- Mix all dry ingrediets together
- Get melted butter and add in eggs, banana extract and liquid monk fruit
- Combine dry and wet ingredients
- Fold in walnuts
- Add to muffins cups, batter will be thick so you will have to stuff it inside the muffin cups. Allow the muffins to sit 20 minutes before baking to enhance flavor.
- place in preheated oven for 25 minutes and allow to cool fully before serving.