Bacon wrapped cream cheese chicken that’s tender on the inside with crispy bacon on the outside. This healthy chicken recipe is great for a low carb or keto diet at only 2g net carbs for an entire chicken breast.
You just arrived at home. The kids are hungry, this one wants chicken, that one wants doughnuts. Somehow, the dog is just patiently waiting with joy for the kibble he always gets.
Bacon wrapped cream cheese chicken is just for you! The person who is short on time that is trying to feed multiple people in a busy world.
In one hour, dinner is served with juicy, protein packed chicken breast. Crispy bacon wrapped around with a cheesy, garlic and herb seasoned filling oozing out.
There’s a few tricks but I am going to share them below.
How To Make Bacon Wrapped Cream Cheese Chicken
Stop! Check For These Ingredients
- Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breast
- Full Fat Cream Cheese
- Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Diced Onion
- Minced Garlic
- Dried or Fresh Rosemary
- Dried or Fresh Chives
Don’t Make These Mistakes (Helpful Recipe Tips)
- Do not skip broiling! This is the part that makes the bacon crispy. I left the oven open while I watched because bacon burns quickly.
- Using fresh or dried herbs. The volume when using fresh is always less than dried herbs. For example, a 1/4 teaspoon of dry would be 1/2-1 teaspoon fresh.
- Searing the chicken adds another step of flavor. However, it can be skipped.
- Do you want to make them ahead? Check my “How To Store” section for details.
This Is How To Cook Bacon Wrapped Cream Cheese Chicken
- Starting, you need to bring your full fat cream cheese to room temperature. Everything is easy to mix this way.
- Next, take the chicken and split it. A meat tenderizer can help flatten the chicken. Season with salt and pepper lightly on both sides.
- In a skillet on medium high heat, sauté diced onion. Once fragrant add in minced garlic, season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat once garlic has turned golden.
- In a small bowl, add your cream cheese with shredded sharp cheddar. Then, cooked onion and garlic with chives, rosemary lastly black pepper. Mix well.
- Spoon cream cheese mix (about 1-2 tablespoons) on seasoned chicken breast.
- Close and secure chicken with toothpicks. In a frying pan on high heat with oil sear each chicken breast. Allow them to cool a little before wrapping. Remove the toothpicks once they’re cool.
- Now, wrap them each with bacon. Two to three pieces should work for normal size chicken breast. However, use what you need to fully wrap the chicken. Lastly, secure the bacon with toothpicks.
- Bake in oven for 45-60 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Give the bacon wrapped cream cheese chicken a broil for 2-3 minutes before removing from the oven. This gets the bacon crispy.
- Allow to cool because inside will be extremely hot, use caution before serving.
Make Them Ahead Or Store Them For Later (How To Store)
These are a perfect recipe for making ahead and cooking them for later. Here are the steps:
Using the directions, prep the chicken to the point where you have stuffed them with the cream cheese. Skip the searing part, and jump to wrap them with bacon. Now, wrap them with bacon but use plastic wrap to secure the bacon rather than toothpicks.
You do this by wrapping the bacon around the chicken then rolling the chicken in plastic wrap tightly. Then, freeze the chicken in the rolled plastic wrap to freeze the bacon in place along with sealing the chicken. Now you can store the chicken in the freezer then simply pull it out to bake when ready.
To store the chicken after you have cooked it:
Simply place in an airtight storage container or a vacuum sealed bag.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why did all my cheese melt out of the stuffed chicken?
Normally, this should not happen. Some cheese may leak out but a seal is needed which comes from the wrapped bacon and the process of frying the chicken before wrapping. Also, when splitting the chicken did you leave holes in the middle for that to happen? Check the recipe video in the post for help here.
How do you tell when stuffed chicken is fully cooked?
A easy way to probe the chicken breast. If you don’t have a probe, 45 minutes is a good time for the chicken to cook through. But, if you’re still worried, at the 45 minutes mark take one chicken and cut it to see.
What goes with bacon wrapped cream cheese chicken?
Bacon Wrapped Cream Cheese Chicken
- 3-4 split chicken breast
- 4 ounces full fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sharp shredded cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chives
- 6 strips bacon
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Take 3 chicken breast and split down the middle.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste
- In a pan on medium high heat cook diced onion until fragrant. Season with light salt and pepper. Then, add minced garlic and cook until lightly golden. Remove from heat and place to the side.
- In a bowl add room temp cream cheese and mix in chives, rosemary, black pepper, shredded cheese and cooked diced onion with garlic
- Spread cream cheese mix over each chicken with a spoon. There is enough to use on each piece and have nothing left.
- Roll chicken then wrap with bacon. Secure bacon with toothpick. You may need more than 6 pieces depending on the size of your chicken
- Bake chicken for 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Check for doneness then finish off with a broil to crisp up bacon.