A keto waffle recipe like you have never seen before! Crispy, fluffy, not egg tasting and made in under 15 minutes. The best keto waffles for the internet. All you need is the basics to make these easy waffles. Dive in because after the first taste you won’t believe these are low carb or gluten free!
I have been eating keto waffles for years and yet have a come across a recipe better than this one. Not only for me but the comments and remarks I get by how amazed people like yourself are by the flavor. They are crispy, buttery and everything else a classic waffle recipe should have. Yet, they are still keto friendly, paleo and gluten free! At only 4g net carbs your low carb breakfast options just got much better.
- What Are Keto Waffles Made Of?
- How To Make Keto Waffles
- Toppings & Variations
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Keto Breakfast Recipes For You
- Keto Waffles
What Are Keto Waffles Made Of?
Waffles on a low carb diet can be made of a few different gluten free flours or mixes of flours. The best tasting flours would be almond flour and coconut flour. I have seen some recipes with flaxseeds and psyllium husk. These will give a very earthy flavor. I avoid those flours.
In this recipe, I mix almond flour and coconut flour. Now, the coconut flour can be left out and the waffle will still be delicious. But, it brings a better texture by providing a thicker batter.
Note, you cannot sub the almond flour for coconut flour in this recipe. Instead, here is a coconut flour waffle that is only coconut flour.
- Blanched Almond Flour
- Coconut Flour
- Baking Soda
- Salted Butter
How To Make Keto Waffles
The recipe to make this keto waffle are easy and straight forward. I will provide some tips below.
- Combine all of your flours first. This recipe is easy and only needs almond flour and a little coconut flour.
- Using a hand mixer or whisk beat eggs and melted butter together. Salted butter really shines here.
- Combine your dry and wet ingredients then mix until waffle batter is super smooth and free of lumps.
- This waffle is for one so take all your batter on a pre heated waffle iron sprayed with oil and pour in on. The darker the waffle the more crispy it will be. If you like your waffle on the lighter side it will only be golden and fluffy.
Helpful Recipe Tips
- Out of coconut flour? If you want to skip the coconut flour you can. But, if you simply don’t like coconut flour I have an all almond flour waffle as well. Note, that is a separate recipe and it does taste differently.
- Waffle iron temperature, the hotter the waffle iron the crispier the waffle. The lower the temp the softer the waffle will be.
- Where is the sweetener? In this recipe I don’t add in any sweetener. For sweeteners I use a sugar free maple syrup to top it off or a something like this blueberry compote from a pancake recipe.
How To Store
You can make these them freeze them for later. The great thing about waffles is you can pop them in the toaster oven straight from the freezer. For those having issues getting the waffles crispy there would be no worries when making them ahead of time.
They should keep in the freezer for months when stored in an air tight container or vacuum sealed.
Toppings & Variations
You can really go crazy here if you’d like. I personally like grass-fed butter with mine. Along with some sugar free syrup. Lakanto is the best to me. But, some advice never taste it by itself. It shines in the meal not alone. When you taste it alone it taste super concentrated and chemically. A lot like tasting stevia which you shouldn’t do either. Birch Benders also has a wonderful maple syrup. You can find them both in store or click the links and grab them from Amazon.
- Lakanto syrup
- Berries (blackberries, strawberries, raspberries)
- Keto caramel sauce
- Nuts (walnuts, pecans, pistachios)
- More butter
Or change the recipe entirely and have a chocolate keto waffle!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why isn’t my waffle crispy?
The crispiness of the waffle is all in the heat of the waffle iron. I have several people struggle with this but you have to have the heat high enough to dry out the moisture on the crust before the inside is done cooking.
What is the difference between waffles and Chaffles?
Easy, waffles are made with almond flour or coconut flour when on the keto diet. But, chaffles include mainly egg and cheese. Here’s a great chaffle recipe with an option for breakfast and to make a lunch or dinner sandwich.
Can I make pancakes with this recipe?
There isn’t any vanilla extract in the recipe?
That is correct, the flavor of these waffles is focused on the butter only. I did that on purpose.
- Waffle Iron
- 1/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon coconut flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoon salted butter (unsalted is fine to swap with or coconut oil)
- 1 large egg
- Pre heat waffle maker
- Combine all dry ingredients
- Mix melted butter that has cooled with your egg
- Combine dry and wet then mix until batter is smooth
- Pour on waffle iron and cook to desired color