Delicious keto creamed spinach recipe thats a combination of creamy and cheesy. A perfect side dish for any keto lunch or dinner recipe. Use fresh or even frozen spinach to take this nutrient packed cruciferous vegetable to the next level!
Why You’ll Love This Keto Creamed Spinach Recipe!
- Spinach is a great cruciferous vegetable. Packed with potassium to help with electrolytes and fight the keto flu for beginners.
- Creamy and cheesy without too many calories for those trying to lose weight.
- Really easy to make. Can be made in under 15 minutes!
How To Make Creamed Spinach Keto-Step By Step
- Starting out to keep the spinach from drying out add a little butter or oil into the pan. Olive oil or coconut oil would be great to give you options.
- Take a 10 ounce bag of fresh spinach and add into the pan little at a time. This gives the spinach time to break down and wither. It won’t fit at first but after broken down there wont be much at all. If using frozen see instructions below.
- After all spinach is added to the pan season the spinach with salt and pepper. Pour in heavy cream and bring to simmer.
- Next, sprinkle cheese of choice over spinach. I used parmesan but any cheese you like will be great for your keto cream spinach.
- This is where a non-stick pan will shine. Simmer the cream and cheese until most of the water has cooked out of the cream. The sauce will thicken. Due to no roux the sauce won’t be as thick as traditional cream sauces.
- Lastly, after the sauce has thickened pull off heat and serve.
Helpful Recipe Tips
- If using frozen spinach you won’t need the butter in the beginning. What you want to do is actually cook some of that water off the spinach first then proceed the recipe instructions.
- You can replace the heavy cream with coconut milk for a dairy-free option. Also using olive oil in place of butter.
- I strongly recommend a non-stick pan when making a cream sauce on keto. Without a roux or gluten keto sauces aren’t as thick. Two things that will help is adding more cheese or a little xanthan gum for thickness. I will add a measurement for the xanthan or guar gum in the recipe card below.
- Add in butter with cream sauce. Instead just use a oil when cooking down the spinach. This way you will give your cream sauce more flavor!
Is Spinach Keto Friendly
Here are a few facts about spinach and why it’s great for keto:
- Cruciferous vegetable which is great for anyone having trouble with fiber or digestion problems. This type of vegetable does great from people suffering from IBS or constipation when switching to the keto diet.
- Packed with potassium! This is a overlooked electrolyte out of the big 3; sodium, magnesium and potassium. One of the richest natural sources, yet not as rich as avocados.
Great Recipes To Add With Your Spinach Recipe
- Cracked Chicken Thighs
- Basil Pesto Chicken Meatballs
- Salmon Cakes
- Bacon Wrapped Pork Chop
- Parmesan Crusted Steak
Keto creamed spinach
- 8 cups fresh spinach (or 7oz frozen)
- 4-6 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese
- 1 ounce smoked gouda or smoked swiss
- 1/2 diced shallot
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- If using fresh spinach, in a pot add water and spinach then place on oven on high heat. Cook until spinach has withered then drain well removing excess water. If using frozen, cook and drain excess water
- In a empty pot add butter, then cook shallots and minced garlic together
- Pour in heavy cream, then add parmesan cheese and gouda/ swiss
- continue stirring then add in spinach and remove from heat. The spinach will still release some water but should be too much if drained properly. Serve. If sauce is too thick add tablespoon of heavy cream at a time until desired thickness is met.
- Quick tip: place in an oven safe dish and take some cheese and top spinach. Place on broil in oven until cheese is melted then serve.