Making a keto chaffle for breakfast is great! But, you can also have them with dinner as buns or lunch by making them into sandwich bread. The options are limitless and I show you how to make breakfast and dinner chaffles!
I am a very late bloomer to the keto chaffle wave. I looked at the ingredients and said I’d make a far tastier keto waffle that surprisingly is rated the best waffle on the keto diet. But, I am happy I have finally made them because they are quite delicious. They work so well and they crisp up so easily in the waffle maker. Having a neutral taste they work great as a bun or sandwich I am just going chaffle crazy now!
What Is A Chaffle
Chaffles are made of cheese and egg. So, why are they called chaffles? Think this way, cheese and egg in a waffle maker. Do you see what we did there. Keto chaffles are great for people with nut allergies since so many waffles contain almond flour. I have a great coconut flour waffle recipe as well but some still are allergic. In a chaffle neither of those things are an issue.
Are Chaffles Eggy
Don’t you get sick of the eggy taste in keto bread dishes? Well the key would be to use a cheese such as sharp that packs a loud flavor. Otherwise you will taste the egg. It should never be strong tasting but it may be noticeable depending on the shredded cheese you choose to use.
Can I Use Any Waffle Maker
I recommend a mini waffle maker. For a full waffle maker you can double the cheese in the recipe and this will allow the cheese to form a full waffle. Note, when making be sure to oil waffle maker and to not overfill. You don’t have to put batter edge to edge because it will spread itself.
How To Make A Keto Chaffle
Heat a waffle maker to medium heat. You want to cook hot enough to make them crispy but to avoid burning the cheese.
In a bowl, add cheese and egg. Then, mix until well combined.
Now, spray waffle maker with oil and add chaffle batter to iron. Next, close and bake until steam slows down. Open and check for browning. You can fell the crispiness while still on the waffle maker.
Remove and serve immediately. The waffle will get cold very fast.
Helpful Recipe Tips
- Chaffle sandwich buns, in order to make bread the recipes are different. You can sub the coconut flour for almond in this recipe. Normally, that isn’t the case but the flour is simply a bulk to give it a more bread-like feel.
- Mine isn’t crispy, this is simple just turn the heat up on your waffle iron.
- They taste eggy, to help with the egg taste you’ll need something just as strong in flavor or stronger. In the breakfast waffle you can use a stronger cheese like sharp cheddar instead of mozzarella. I used Mexican shredded in this recipe and loved it.
- 1/2 cup Mexican finely shredded cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup mozzarella finely shredded cheese
- 2 teaspoon coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- Preheat a mini waffle maker to medium/high heat. If you have a regular waffle maker you can double the cheese not the egg for a fuller waffle
- combine all ingredients in a bowl for wither the breakfast chaffle or the chaffle bread
- Spray waffle iron and add batter. Cook until steam slows down. Open iron and tap with a fork for crispiness. If the iron wa hot enough it will be crispy. If not crank the heat up a little to try to help it out.
- Remove and serve immediately. Chaffle will get cold fast. Note, the sandwich chaffle bread wont be crispy at all regardless of heat level.
- See notes below for helpful tips. If you love or hate this recipe I'd love your feedback by rating and leaving a comment. Thank you for your time!
Helpful Recipe Tips
- Chaffle sandwich buns, in order to make bread the recipes are different. You can sub the coconut flour for almond in this recipe. Normally, that isn't the case but the flour is simply a bulk to give it a more bread-like feel.
- Mine isn't crispy, this is simple just turn the heat up on your waffle iron.
- They taste eggy, to help with the egg taste you'll need something just as strong in flavor or stronger. In the breakfast waffle you can use a stronger cheese like sharp cheddar instead of mozzarella. I used Mexican shredded in this recipe and loved it.