These keto meatballs are just like meatballs I love from pizzerias. They are cheesy, mixed with sausage and a flavor packed, robust sauce. They can be made numerous ways with a great, healthy recipe every time!
If you have never had the pleasure of having meatballs out of a pizza place you’re missing out! Of course, the Italian style is great but from the pizza place I don’t need anything to go with then. They’re perfect as they come.
Are Meatballs Keto
In this recipe yes they are. But, traditionally to keep the meatballs bulky people use breadcrumbs. Now, depending on what type of keto you do the amount of breadcrumbs typically don’t result in a crazy high carb count. I personally like to eat my meatballs without watching anything so this recipe that doesn’t use breadcrumbs works best for me.
What To Eat With Keto Meatballs
As in my chicken alfredo recipe there are tons of noodles to choose from on keto these days. Personally, I eat them as is or I go to Blaze and pick up a pizza to pair with it. Picking up some of your favorite veggies works or even a great recipe such as ranch style cauliflower mash.
Noodles For Keto Pasta Recipes
There are quite a few brands now but I will list some below. In these photos I used Palmini but I have experience with Liviva as well. Note, they all have their own flavors.
How To Make Meatballs In The Crockpot
First, searing meatballs are always best. But, if you want to make them fully in the crockpot that is possibly. Skip searing and proceed to next step.
Place the crockpot on high heat. Pour in beef broth, pizza sauce and tomato paste. A quick tip, you’ll need to double this recipe if using a normal size crockpot.
Next, in a mixing bowl add ground beef, ground sausage, cheese and egg. Form your meatballs and place them in the sauce in the crockpot.
Cover and allow to cook about an hour. Times will vary on the power of your slow cooker.
After meatballs are done, add mozzarella cheese across the top and cover until the cheese has melted. Should take 10-20 minutes.
How To Make Keto Meatballs
To start, combine meatball ingredients in a mixing bowl. Then, form keto meatballs with hand.
In a pan on high heat, add a little oil and sear the sides of the keto meatballs. Now, they don’t have to be perfect two sides is just fine. Once seared remove from pan. We aren’t making sure they are done in the pan, the oven is for that.
When done with the last meatball add tomato paste to the pan. Cook it a little nothing more than 20-30 seconds. Now, pour in the pizza sauce. I have a great pizza sauce that you can make from scratch but pizza sauce from the jar is quick and easy.
Once well combined, transfer to pan or if using a cast iron skillet like me place all the meatballs back in. Next, add shredded mozzarella cheese across the top.
Bake uncovered for 20-30 minutes checking meatballs for doneness and browning on cheese. If meatballs aren’t done cover to keep cheese from burning for 10 minutes.
Lastly, remove and serve.
Helpful Recipe Tips
- Size of meatballs, meatballs about the a quarter in circumference are perfect. They won’t cook all the way through when searing and they’ll be done in 20 minutes while baking. When you go thicker you will have to increase oven time.
- For crockpot, double recipe for normal sized crockpot and instructions are in passage. Not much different but there are slight changes.
- Using pork rinds or almond flour, for more bulking in the meatball adding 1/4 cup of either will work fine. It isn’t needed but personal preference I’d understand why someone would want to add them.
Keto Recipes You’ll Love
- Bacon Wrapped Meatballs
- Keto Coconut Shrimp
- Chocolate Keto Brownies
- Parmesan Turkey Meatballs
- Keto Taco Soup
- Chicken Pizza Crust
- 16 ounce 85/15 ground beef
- 16 ounce ground italian sausage
- 2 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 14 ounce pizza sauce
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup 3 cheese blend
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In a mixing bowl combine all ingredients for the meatballs. Mix well and set aside.
- In a frying pan on high heat add a little oil and sear each meatball. Don't crowd the pan just cook in batches. Remove when done lower heat to medium.
- Add in tomato paste and cook it about 10 seconds before you add in the pizza sauce. Mix everything togther and top off with the 3 cheese blend cheese.
- Cover with whole milk mozzarella cheese. Place in preheated oven uncovered for 20 minutes. Bake until cheese has browned. If meatballs are normal size they will be cooked through at the 20 minute mark. Each serving should give you 4oz of meat.