A rich, delicious keto taco soup with rich taco spices with a hint of lime in every bite. A warm and comforting keto dinner recipe that’s easy for mom to make and everyone else to enjoy!
I am a Mexican cuisine fanatic! Anything from a Spanish culture I have to try it. Being keto now, you have so many options even wraps and tortilla chips you can make or buy from the store. Just a great time to be alive! Recently, I did a taco casserole which was great but this is a great warming dish that’s perfect on a relaxing night.
Can I Use Store Bought Taco Seasoning
Yes you can but I do warn you. Most if not all of them contain thickeners such as cornstarch or even a form of sugar. These are to thicken the mix but in this recipe I do it naturally with the tomato paste. It gives the soup a thick, creamy texture.
How To Make Keto Taco Soup
To start, dice up a yellow onion and crack open a can of Rotel tomatoes. Next, turn the heat on high and add in ground beef, Rotel and onion. Start browning a little and toss in the homemade taco seasoning.
Then, when the ground beef is brown all the way through pour beef broth on top and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer. Now, add in the tomato paste, stir and reduce until thickened.
That’s it! Once it has cooked down that’s all you have to do. Before serving squeeze a lime over it then garnish with Spanish cotija or cheddar cheese. Crank up the flavor with fresh cilantro.
How To Make Taco Soup In A Slow Cooker
Add all of the ingredients into the crock pot and mix around. Cook on high for about 3-4 hours. Add in the squeezed lime juice before serving. It’s not much of a difference in preparation with preparing soup from the slow cooker to the stove.
Can I Make Keto Taco Soup In The Instant Pot
Yes, very similar to the stove top method sauté the ground beef with the seasonings, onions and Rotel tomatoes. When done add in beef broth and tomato paste. Close and set pressure to high for 5-10 minutes. Check at both points. At the end add in the squeezed lime juice.
Great Mexican Inspired Recipes Perfect For Keto
Keto Taco Soup
- 1 pound 85/15 ground beef (sub for ground chicken,turkey or pork)
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes
- 1/2 diced yellow onion
- 2 cup beef broth
- 4 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 squeezed lime
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Dice onion, mix together taco seasoning mix and open a can of Rotel tomatoes. I recommend you salt to taste but I did add 2 tsp of salt to start out with.
- In a pot turn on high heat and toss in diced onion, Rotel tomatoes and taco seasoning. It'll look like far too much taco seasoning but understand the you have to season the broth, tomato paste and eveything else.
- After meat is browned pour in beef broth. Bring to a boil, lower heat and allow to simmer. Then, add in tomato paste.
- Once reduced and thickened turn off heat. Add lime juice now and serve with garnishings of cheddar or cotija cheese and cilantro. See notes below for crock pot or instant pot directions.
2 thoughts on “Keto Taco Soup”
this was a confusing recipe- no onion in ingredients
just written in confusing way
Hi Lisa, thanks for visiting. I apologize for any confusion and thanks for letting me know I didn’t add the onion in the ingredients. As far as the cheese, I didn’t include a measurement because cheese is just a bonus if you’d like to add it with the recipe not a necessity. Any other confusing points I’d be glad to help you with. Thanks again!