A keto french onion soup is still a cheesy, beefy broth topped with a toasted keto friendly bread recipe. Caramelized onions are swimming in this easy to make low carb soup that’s just like the real thing, even with a few modifications.
I have made a ton of soup recipes lately. Now, I think I am a soup guy. Prior to that, most don’t know but French onion soup I fell in love with before any other soup. Inside a steakhouse I was recommended to try it and I haven’t looked back since. If it’s on the menu, I’m ordering it!
What Is French Onion Soup
French onion soup is a soup of caramelized onions in a beef broth. It’s not a creamy soup. The special part to me is the toasted bread topped with a creamy gruyere cheese. This is the signature part of the soup to me and the favorite part of many.
Is French Onion Soup Keto
French onion soup is not keto friendly and this is based on how it’s made, not just the bread on top. The bread is clearly loaded with carbs but some people use flour to make a roux. At times just taking the bread out may not be enough. Luckily, in this recipe you have no worries at all. Everything is keto friendly down to the wine used.
Are Onions Keto
I have a full post explaining onions on keto but briefly yes they are! Onions are one of those delicious foods low in carbs that you can continue to enjoy. So many health benefits and how versatile they are in recipes you can rejoice that you don’t have to give them up!
What Cheese Goes On French Onion Soup
The best cheese and the classic is gruyere! Some people mix cheeses for a personal taste but gruyere is the king for this recipe. The idea you want is a cheese that melts well, smooth and creamy.
How To Make Keto French Onion Soup
To start, slice all of your onions. This can be a rough process due to the tears. A method that can work is by not cutting the bulb at the end. Even doing this I find it slows it down but doesn’t prevent the eventual burn.
How to cut an onion? I slice in half then into quarters. Next, I slice the onion into thin slices this way they aren’t too large to fit on the spoon.
On a medium low heat add onions to a pot adding in butter as well. The trick is not too hot in order to get a good caramelization. You run the risk of burning by turning the heat up, you just have to wait it out.
Now, it’ll take at least 30 minutes up to an hour before they are perfect.
Once onions are caramelized grate three cloves of garlic over them then add in keto friendly white wine. Normally, a dry sherry wine is used which doesn’t have that much sugar in it. I would use sherry, but more keto friendly wines I will list below in my recipe tips.
Next, add in beef broth and bring to a simmer. Toss in a few stems of thyme and allow it to simmer about 20-30 minutes for flavors to work together.
Then, when you’re ready to serve have a toasted keto bread ready or you can whip up a 90 second bread in the microwave. Top with cheese and place on broil until cheese has melted and browned.
Helpful Recipe Tips
- Don’t rush the onions, I can’t stress enough that turning up the heat is not a good choice. You’ll end up burning the onions and ruining your recipe. When they start to get close to done you need to stay close and continue to stir them. They just take time and that’s what makes this recipe special.
- Can I make without bread, yes you can. Before having my own keto bread recipe I would always make it without the bread. Just understand the bread is what allows the cheese to sit on top unless you’re using sliced cheese.
- Best white wines for keto? As mentioned, I am not against a dry sherry wine but it is higher in carbs that keto friendly wines to cook with. Pinot Grigio, Pinot Noir and Chardonnay are a few you could use. Don’t be afraid to use a red as well such as Cabernet, it’s your recipe after all. Use a wine you enjoy to drink.
Keto Friendly Soups You’ll Love
Keto French Onion Soup
- 3 sliced yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional) (see notes for options)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- keto bread recipe
- 90 second keto bread
- gruyere cheese
- Slice onions then add to a pot on a medium low heat with butter. Allow to cook down and caramelize. Depending on onions, pot and heat this could take 30-60 minutes. You can't rush them.
- Note, the closer they get to finishing stay close by to stir to keep them from sticking to the bottom.
- When onions are almost finished grate 3 cloves of garlic over them then continue to cook.
- Netx, when they are done add in wine and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Then pour in beef broth, add stems of thyme and bring to a simmer for 20-30 minutes for flavors to work together. Remove frome heat and serve.
- This dish is served with gruyere cheese and bread. The nutrtion facts are for the soup only with the wine added. Click the link for the bread recipe in the ingredient list.
- How to layer: I add a little cheese to the soup itself. Toast the bread then place it on top of the cheese. Then, I add more cheese on top of the bread and place in a oven on broil until the cheese has melted. Be sure your dish can stand that heat.
Helpful Recipe Tips
- Don't rush the onions, I can't stress enough that turning up the heat is not a good choice. You'll end up burning the onions and ruining your recipe. When they start to get close to done you need to stay close and continue to stir them. They just take time and that's what makes this recipe special.
- Can I make without bread, yes you can. Before having my own keto bread recipe I would always make it without the bread. Just understand the bread is what allows the cheese to sit on top unless you're using sliced cheese.
- Best white wines for keto? As mentioned, I am not against a dry sherry wine but it is higher in carbs that keto friendly wines to cook with. Pinot Grigio, Pinot Noir and Chardonnay are a few you could use. Don't be afraid to use a red as well such as Cabernet, it's your recipe after all. Use a wine you enjoy to drink.