Keto cabbage soup is an easy to make low carb and naturally low calorie soup. The cabbage soup diet went crazy for how delicious it was and the weight-loss experienced from something so tasty!
Standing in the mirror you notice the holiday pounds starting to add on. I need to stop this before it gets out of hand, you say. The guy at the gym definitely checked me out while squatting.
A light, easy to meal prep soup is here. Keto cabbage soup came from the popular cabbage soup diet but follow below for the quick tips on how to make the best version for you.
How To Make Keto Cabbage Soup
Write down these ingredients first, you need them
- Head of green cabbage
- Yellow Onion
- Dice tomatoes (petite)
- Ground beef (sub with ground turkey or chicken)
- Minced garlic
- Chicken broth
- Italian seasoning
- Salt & pepper
Tips if you run into trouble
- Fresh herbs versus dried Italian seasoning, in the recipe video below I use fresh thyme, rosemary and bay leaves. This truly enhances the flavor however it isn’t needed.
- Vegetarian option, in order to make this a vegetarian recipe just remove the ground beef and you’re good to go!
- Salt to taste, I will include instructions but I highly recommend you salt to taste in this one because there are so many factor that could change between what I made and what you made. Use my instructions as a reference.
- Whether making on the stove, crock pot or instant pot all the ingredients remain the same.
- How to cut cabbage for cabbage soup, this isn’t difficult so don’t over think it. How do you want you cabbage to be in the end result. I chopped the cabbage in half then into fourths. Cutting the short way I cut into 1/2 in strips. There is no right or wrong way to do it. Simply depends on what you want in size.
Simple directions to the best flavors
- I recommend to prep everything first for smooth cook. To start, dice up half an onion, cut up cabbage and open a can of diced tomatoes and drain them. Set that all to the side to have ready to cook.
- In a pot on medium/high heat add in ground beef, season with salt and pepper. Cook until all the meat is brown. Remove the meat from the pot.
- Now, add in diced onion and the tomatoes. Saute’ until fragrant and onions have color. Time to add in the minced garlic until it becomes golden in color. Season with light salt and pepper at this step as well.
- Make room in the pot to add tomato paste straight to the bottom. This method is called “cooking out the paste” removing the metallic flavor. Then, add in chicken broth and water.
- Top off with Italian seasoning. Taste for salt before the next step.
- Add in the chopped cabbage along with the ground beef. Cook uncovered until cabbage has withered. Allow to cool and serve.
Meal Prep & Storing Options
This soup keeps well over time in the refrigerator, about 3-4 days. However, I have had great success when freezing it for a much later date.
For meal prep, simple leave out about 3 days worth then freeze the rest in some sort of airtight storage like a vacuum seal bag or tubberware.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
According to the USDA cabbage is only 3g net carbs for an entire cup. That is well within the 20g net carbs daily of the keto diet. So, enjoy this recipe as much as you want. Now, a normal cabbage soup isn’t keto friendly due to the high carb count of the starchy vegetables added.
How to cook keto cabbage soup in a crock pot/slow cooker?
First, brown and season your ground beef on the stove top. Chop up half a head of cabbage and toss all the ingredients into the crockpot on high. On high, allow the soup to cook for and hour or two. This varies because you want to check the tenderness of your cabbage to fit your liking.
Can I cook keto cabbage soup in an Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker?
On sauté, brown your ground beef, onions and minced garlic. Once done, add in broth, tomatoes and seasonings then give it a mix. Top off with shredded cabbage. Close lid and set for high pressure at 20 minutes. Once done, check for flavor and tenderness of cabbage.
What to serve with keto cabbage soup?
- Buttery Almond Flour Biscuits
- Keto Cornbread
- Cheese & Garlic Keto Breadsticks
- Red Lobster Biscuits (Keto Cheddar Bay Biscuits)
Keto Cabbage Soup
- 1/2 head green cabbage
- 1/2 diced yellow onion
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14 ounces)
- 1 pound 85/15 ground beef
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- Cut up cabbge, dice onion first to have them ready to go
- In a large pot on medium high heat toss in ground beef, onion and minced garlic. Season with 1 tsp of salt. Cook until all is brown.
- Once browned add in full can of tomatoes with water and all. Then, pour in chicken broth adn add in italian seasoning. Bring to a simmer and taste broth for seasoning. Here is where I add 2 tsp of salt and 1 teaspoon of black pepper. But, taste first them salt to taste.
- Once broth taste perfect add in chopped cabbage. Cook uncoved for about 10 minutes giving it a stir every so often. Once cabbage is tender taste broth one last time to make sure the seasoning is where you want it. Serve.