On a ketogenic diet there are multiple variations where you can still enjoy the benefits of weight loss and a healthier lifestyle. Lazy keto allows you do this and there are easy to follow steps in doing so.
When starting keto the terms dirty keto and lazy keto seem like they are the same thing or just more reading you have to do in order to under stand this difficult diet. Yet, that’s not the case at all. We have found ways to fit many lifestyles and finding your version of keto is just a paragraph away.
What Is Lazy Keto
Do you get tired of tracking your macros? Well, the lazy keto diet may be perfect for you. When doing this version of keto you don’t track anything with the exception of net carbs. And, you only need to make sure you stay within the range of the keto diet. So, making mental notes throughout the day is good enough.
Difference Between Dirty Keto And Lazy Keto
Dirty keto allows you to follow a “if it fits your macros” lifestyle. In short, you can eat what you want from wherever you want as long as you hit your macro marks. This is perfect for people who don’t have time to meal prep, live on the go or don’t want to be as strict.
Yet, with lazy keto you can eat a combination of whole foods and a few that are not ideal. The biggest difference is the tracking. You have more flexibility without having to count everything all day versus doing a dirty keto diet.
Lazy Keto vs Strict Keto
Many people are able to lose weight on a strict keto diet. But, the same happens for people on lazy keto.
Would you believe staying under 50g net carbs produces results?
Although, staying as close to 20g net carbs is a strict keto diet and what we consider the standard. There are people who enter and remain in ketosis eating up to 50 grams of carbohydrates a day.
One of the reason keto isn’t one size fits all.
On a traditional keto diet you have to count fat, carbs and monitor your protein. Along with eating the most whole foods you could find. This will limit or eliminate the store bought keto goods and basic desserts that can help people when just starting out.
On a lazy keto diet nothing is tracked except taking note of your net carbs. On days you’d like to eat keto cookies or or even keto ice cream along with other things you can.
How To Start Lazy Keto
Starting any diet you need to do your research. Lazy keto is easy because this article explains it but you need to know the foods to eat on keto so you have an easy job staying within range.
Yet, the issues arrive when you run into problems such as fatigue, keto flu or excessive appetite. How do you handle it? This is why dirty keto is better for beginners and lazy keto is for someone who has did it a while and understood the diet. That way when problems arise you know what to adjust and how to adjust it.
Be sure to understand terms such as fiber, net carbs, electrolytes and know your needed vitamins and minerals.
Is Lazy Keto Healthy
As mentioned before you don’t track on this version of the keto diet. In the beginning of keto you learn how important tracking is when you want to get into ketosis. This is where some problems can arrive for a beginner versus someone who has done the diet for some time.
Benefits of lazy keto
- You don’t have to count or track-One thing that turns people off about dieting is tracking. It’s boring for anyone. To add, when you already are short on time it’s even more of a burden.
- Weight loss*-Losing weight can be very simple on the diet because you’re restricting carbs. Even without counting you are still thinking about your food choices before you eat which will result in weigh loss.
- Helps with blood sugar levels*– Controlling what you eat and the carbohydrates will help with maintaining great glucose levels.
- Reduces appetite*– There is something that fat does that most people ignore, it’s very filling. This means even on a lazy keto diet you’ll still experience the feeling of not wanting to eat as much.
Cons of lazy keto
- Lack of macronutrients– There is a reason to track especially on keto because it’s good to make sure you hit all your fat, protein and carbs levels the best you can each day. Falling short could spark health issues.
- Not enter into ketosis– When starting out, getting your body into ketosis for some people can be tricky. This is why it is recommended to track so when problems arise you can go back and make adjustments. Without knowing you could put yourself in the position of too many carbs or too much protein.
- Possible weight gain– Once again, the lazy approach you just eat but some of us come from a background of binging. On keto, those desserts can be a problem for a previous binge eater. And, you can still gain weigh on keto if eating too many calories.
- Not for beginners– You’re just starting out and you want to try lazy keto. The problem is you don’t know the diet well enough yet to understand what fats you need or protein levels. You could find yourself eating snacks all day missing nutrients or not getting enough fats then finding yourself always hungry.
Lazy Keto Food List
Eat These Foods
- Meats– Beef, pork, dark meat chicken, lamb, bison
- Full Fat Dairy-Cheese, cream cheese, yogurt, heavy cream, butter
- Nuts– Almonds, walnuts, pecans, Brazil nuts, pistachios
- Good fats– Coconut oil, beef tallow, pork lard, duck fat, avocado oil, olive oil
- Vegetables– Leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower
- Fruits-Strawberries, avocados, tomatoes, cucumber, some squash, raspberry, blackberry, blueberry
- Sugar-free Condiments-Mayo, ketchup, mustard, vinegar, sugar-free bbq sauce
- Seeds– Flax, pumpkin, sunflower, chia
Limit Or Don’t Eat These
- Breads or anything with all purpose flour
- Cured meats like bacon, sausage, deli meats
- Grains such as rice and oats
- Starchy veggies such as potatoes and sweet potatoes
- Honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar or things considered natural sugars
- High sugar fruits like banana, apples, pears, kiwi, mango
- Pasta and noodles
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can you lose weight on lazy keto?
One thing about starting any diet you pay attention to what you’re eating. Keto is no different. Although, you won’t be following a strict diet you will limit your carbs and choose better options resulting in possible weight loss.
Do you gain weight back after keto?
If you go back to eating a standard American diet then you will gain weight back. Keto is designed to be a lifestyle change that gives you the options of delicious foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner all while keeping the pounds off.