This creamy chicken keto stuffed peppers recipe is quick and easy. It’s not only low carb but keto friendly with a high fat delicious cream sauce.
Why make keto stuffed peppers?
Stuffed peppers are delicious in addition to being healthy. Depending on the pepper you choose they leave their wonderful flavor behind.
So, not only are you getting the flavor, you are getting the bell pepper in your meal as well. Think taco shells except low carb and healthier. You cook your meat in the keto stuffed pepper then you can eat it!
What’s the difference between bell peppers?
Did you guys know all the bell peppers start off green?
This reflects in the price as well. The green are the ones picked before harvesting. Bell peppers then turn yellow, orange, then red.
Bell pepper flavors:
- Green bell pepper, the green bell pepper has a more earthy flavor. It can be a bit bitter but not too. They have zero sweetness and the best bell pepper for keto. Having the lowest carb count.
- Yellow bell pepper, the yellow is very faintly sweet. Yet, the small bitter taste from the green pepper has left.
- Orange bell pepper, this pepper continues to climb in sweetness along with carbs. You are able to get away with making the yellow bell pepper fit your macros but here the threshold is met.
- Red bell pepper, and this is the final stage of the bell pepper. Not to mention the sweetest and the most expensive. So, being the sweetest the carb count is way too high for the keto diet.
Do you eat the bell pepper in stuffed bell peppers?
Personal preference! I love the bell pepper as a sort of edible bowl with my meal. Yet, to keep it closer to zero carb you can just enjoy your stuffing over the bell pepper.
What can I put in stuffed peppers?
Keto stuffed peppers are so versatile. I have seen buffalo chicken, Philly cheese steak, taco style, the list can go on and on.
In return making this such an easy keto recipe. Find a meat and top with fat! Cheese is great and I even topped with parmesan here.
How to make creamy chicken keto stuffed peppers:
I started off by using chicken tenders. You can use any meat from the chicken of your choice. Yet, chicken tenders kept this a quick recipe.
To add, the entire chicken breast is an option as well. I shredded the chicken making the cream sauce separate.
How to make shredded chicken?
All I did was season a pot of water with salt and boil the chicken tenders for 20 minutes. It was that simple. Draining the chicken when it was done then allowing it to cool.
That step was optional but then I shredded the chicken with two forks tearing in opposite directions.
Next, I split the bell peppers. Cutting them in half and removing the stem and seeds. You can do this from the top as well. To this you simply cut around them stem at the top.
After these were prepped and ready I begin to make my cream sauce.
The cream sauce consisted of heavy cream, sour cream, mozzarella cheese, salt, onion powder and cayenne. This isn’t the traditional creamy chicken. I kept things minimal for flavor. I see others toss all these different seasoning and spices in their meals washing the taste of one out with another.
In the case of this dish, less is more.
After the cream sauce was heated and combined I toss in the shredded chicken. Mixing the cream sauce with the chicken then spoon the chicken into the keto stuffed bell peppers.
Baking at 350ºF for 15-20 minutes looking for the bell peppers to get a bit weary looking. Allowing them to cool then serve.
Creamy Chicken Keto Stuffed Peppers
- 4 green bell peppers
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (or 56g)
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese
- Cut the tops of of each green pepper and remove stem and seeds
- Boil chicken to pull apart tender. Or buy a rotisserie chicken and shred that
- Once chicken is shredded season chicken with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In a small pot pour in heavy cream on a medium heat. Add cream cheese and minced garlic. Along with 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Once combined remove from heat
- Take cream sauce and mix into shredded chicken. Spoon creamed chicken into each bell pepper. The entire pound should fit into all 4
- Garnish tops with parmesan cheese then bake for 20 minutes. Cool then serve