Chicken stuffed bell peppers are a filling and easy to make meal. This recipe is also keto friendly and low carb. A perfect recipe for the cheese and chicken lover!
You’re trying to choose a weeknight dinner. Something easy to make but enough where the kids won’t leave behind extras. Did I really sign up for this in college?
Chicken stuffed bell peppers come to the rescue.
A creamy sauce that’s low carb and whipped together in under 15 minutes. An oven baked recipe to sit and forget is exactly what you need!
I know, you may not keto or low carb but that’s not an issue. Below you’ll learn how this recipe works for everyone.
How To Make Chicken Stuffed Peppers
Gather these ingredients first
- Chicken Breast (boneless, skinless)
- Bell Peppers of choice (green, red, yellow, orange)
- Whole Milk Mozzarella Cheese
- Heavy Cream
- Cream Cheese
- Minced Garlic
- Salt, Black Pepper, Onion Powder
Avoid trouble with these tips
- Pre-shredded cheese, shred your own cheese for these chicken stuffed peppers. When cheese is shredded they coat is with a non-caking agent that gets in the way of melting.
- Heavy cream is needed not milk. If there was a roux you would use heavy cream but this is a gluten-free, keto recipe and we don’t use flour.
This is the process…
- Before doing the next step slightly cook the bell peppers. This releases excess water.
- Next, I cut the tops off the bell peppers. Removing the stem and seeds. Another option is cutting them the long way.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- First, bring a pot of water to boiling. Season the water with salt then add chicken breast. Lower heat then simmer for 20-25 minutes. Remove chicken then shred the chicken with two forks.
- Then, chop the chicken into smaller easy to work with pieces. Season the chicken with salt, pepper and onion powder.
- After these were prepped and ready I begin to make my cream sauce for the chicken stuffed peppers.
- The cream sauce consisted of heavy cream, mozzarella cheese, cream cheese with butter and minced garlic. Cook the minced garlic in butter first. Then, add the cream sauce ingredients to melt everything together.
- After the cream sauce was heated and combined I toss in the shredded chicken. Mixing the cream sauce with the chicken then spoon the chicken into the bell peppers.
- Baking at 400ºF for 15-20 minutes looking for the bell peppers to get a bit weary looking. Allowing them to cool then serve.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What’s the difference between bell peppers?
Did you guys know all the bell peppers start off green?
This reflects in the price as well. The green are the ones picked before harvesting. Bell peppers then turn yellow, orange, then red.
Bell pepper flavors:
- Green bell pepper, the green bell pepper has a more earthy flavor. It can be a bit bitter but not too. They have zero sweetness and the best bell pepper for keto. Having the lowest carb count.
- Yellow bell pepper, the yellow is very faintly sweet. Yet, the small bitter taste from the green pepper has left.
- Orange bell pepper, this pepper continues to climb in sweetness along with carbs. You are able to get away with making the yellow bell pepper fit your macros but here the threshold is met.
- Red bell pepper, and this is the final stage of the bell pepper. Not to mention the sweetest and the most expensive. So, being the sweetest the carb count is way too high for the keto diet.
Do you eat the bell pepper in stuffed bell peppers?
Personal preference! I love the bell pepper as a sort of edible bowl with my meal. Yet, to keep it closer to zero carb you can just enjoy your stuffing over the bell pepper.
What can I eat with chicken stuffed peppers?
Chicken stuffed bell peppers are its own meal. You have fat, protein and carbs. Better yet, meat and a vegetable. However, a classic dish is always white rice on the side.
Here are some other choices:
Make Super Tasty Chicken Stuffed Bell Peppers: This is How
- 4 green bell peppers
- 1 pound shredded chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounce cream cheese
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Cut the tops of of each green pepper and remove stem and seeds
- Add a little salt in the bell pepper and bake for 10 minutes upside down. Remove from oven.
- Boil chicken to pull apart tender. Or buy a rotisserie chicken and shred that
- Once chicken is shredded season chicken with salt, pepper and onion powder
- In a small pot add butter and minced garlic, cook until fragrant and add in cream cheese, heavy cream and mozzarella cheese. Mix this until melted and smooth.
- Take cream sauce and mix into shredded chicken. Spoon creamed chicken into each bell pepper. The entire pound should fit into all 4
- Take 1/4 cup of mozzarella and sprinkle across the tops of the bell peppers. Bake for 15 minutes right side up at the same 400°F, remove then serve. Be careful, inside will be hot.