This Red Lobster copycat of their cheddar bay biscuits are keto friendly cheese biscuits you’re sure to fall in love with. Remember the flavor of garlic, onion, melted butter with parsley in a fluffy biscuit but this time it’s only 3g net carbs per biscuit!
Making these delicious cheese biscuits I knew the perfect base were my almond flour keto biscuit recipe. A biscuit should be fluffy on the inside and that’s exactly what these will provide. When looking for keto dinner recipes or things to pair with your breakfast in the south biscuits are a favorite. But, making a copycat version of a restaurant style favorite can be difficult. Yet, we pulled it off!
How To Make Keto Cheddar Bay Biscuits
- Blanched Almond Flour
- Coconut Flour
- Tapioca Flour (starch)
- Baking Powder
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Salted Butter
- Dried Parsley
Baking The Biscuits
To start, in a mixing bowl combine your almond flour, tapioca flour (optional), coconut flour, baking powder with a little bit of salt. Then, you want to add in the seasonings of garlic powder, onion powder and dried parsley.
In a separate bowl, add in eggs and melted butter. Whisk these together. Now, combine the dry and wet ingredients. After everything is together fold in shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
Next, cover the bowl with plastic for 30 minutes on the counter.
After time is up preheat oven to 375ºF.
On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper take a spoonful of the biscuit mix and add to the pan. You should get at least 8 biscuits unless you make them huge.
Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Then, remove them.
In a small bowl, add in garlic powder, onion powder and parsley. Melt two tablespoons of butter and pour on top of seasonings. Take a brush, dap it in the seasoned butter then brush across each biscuit.
Serve while hot and soft.
Helpful Recipe Tips
- Rest biscuits. Resting the biscuit mix is important because the almonds in almond flour have strong flavor. Believe it or not the biscuits at Red Lobster aren’t even seasoned inside outside of the cheese. It’s true, all the flavoring is in the butter that brushed across. On keto, nut flours have a taste and flavor which is why I seasoned the flour for a stronger flavor overall. Resting allows the flavors to work through.
- Butter and eat quickly. Cheese biscuits fresh from the oven are amazing for a reason. They’re the fluffiest on the inside and just melt in your mouth. I recommend brushing the butter across the top and serving these as soon as possible for the best texture.
- Can I skip the tapioca flour/starch? Yes you can, but note that the texture will be slightly different. The starch also helps the biscuit form a shell on the outside giving it a slight crunch before you bite into the fluffy inside. Note, the addition of the start is only 6g of carbs across the entire recipe.
- Shred your own cheese. Cheese that’s already shredded has a non-caking agent called cellulose on it. This prevents the cheese from melting smoothly.
How To Store
Do not make more biscuits that you plan to eat at that moment if you can help it. I say this because they are best fresh from the oven and you can refrigerate or even freeze the mix for later. The mix will keep around 5 days in the refrigerator.
When reheating simply place in the microwave for a few seconds. I have yet to bake the biscuit from frozen but when I test it out I will update you with the results.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How many carbs are in a cheddar bay biscuit?
According to fast food nutrition*, one Red Lobster biscuit is 16g net carbs. Now, this is under 20g net carbs that we learn about when starting the keto diet but do you really want to push it that close for only 1 biscuit?
Is cheddar keto?
Cheddar such as Velveeta and Kraft cheese are highly processed cheeses. Unlike regular cheese which is on the keto food list. However, on a dirty keto diet you could fit cheddar into the diet. Luckily, this recipe uses sharp cheddar cheese and you don’t have to worry about those things.
Low carb bread recipes
What to eat with keto Red Lobster biscuits?
- Parmesan Crusted Salmon
- Shrimp Scampi
- Shrimp Stuffed Mushrooms
- Parmesan Crusted White Fish
- Air Fryer Steak Bites
- Buffalo Chicken Thighs
Keto Cheddar Bay Biscuits
- 1 1/3 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour (optional but highly recommended)
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoon salted butter ()
Garlic Butter Sauce
- 2 tablespoon salted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- Melt butter then mix all dry ingredients together
- Grab cooled melted butter then whisk in both eggs
- Combine dry and wet ingredients
- Cover and allow to sit for 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Using a spoon, drop 8 biscuits onto a baking sheet then place in oven for 15 minutes
- When biscuits are almost done make garlic butter sauce. Combine garlic, onion, salt and parsley together then pour melted butter on top
- Remove biscuits from oven and brush with garlic butter sauce