Keto sausage and cabbage alfredo is a great keto diet, low carb dinner option. Using cabbage in the place of noodles and adding in sausage for extra protein and flavor.
Looking online you come across keto friendly fettuccine noodles. Does keto pasta taste good? The last alternative noodles I had my dog wouldn’t eat them.
Why not eat something you are familiar with? Keto sausage and cabbage alfredo uses cabbage instead and that’s a dish you are familiar with.
Getting the great flavor of fried cabbage with sausage and a delicious, tangy keto alfredo sauce.
But, before you dive into this keto sausage and cabbage alfredo recipe let me show you some steps to make the best version.
How To Make Keto Sausage And Cabbage Alfredo
Do you have these ingredients listed?
- Head of cabbage
- Sausage (any sausage works but smoked sausage or Italian sausage is a no brainer)
- Alfredo sauce (recipe or store-bought)
Quick tips to avoid mistakes
- Make sure to have oil on hand. You will need this while cooking the cabbage.
- Slice the sausage, this way it cooks faster and is evenly placed through the keto sausage and cabbage alfredo recipe.
- Make alfredo sauce first if you aren’t using store-bought.
Cooking the recipe
- Slice your sausage, thinly slice half an onion and cut up half of a head of cabbage. Having these ready to go is important.
- In a pot, add a little oil and sear the sausage. When the sausage is almost seared add in the thinly sliced onions. Salt and pepper onions. You may need to add a little oil for cooking if it looks dry.
- Next, once onions are fragrant and browning add in chopped cabbage. Continue to stir while cooking because the onions and sausage will try to settle to the bottom.
- Then, continue to cook until the cabbage has withered down. You will need to add oil during the cooking process. Note, when the cabbage is looking “dry” is when you should add a little oil in.
- This process will take about 15 minutes to wither the cabbage. Once they are cooked remove from heat.
- Lastly, take your alfredo sauce and add it into the pot with the other ingredients, save a little sauce to drizzle over the top. And garnish with freshly chopped parsley and parmesan cheese.
Potential issues with storing your leftovers
I always recommend using 1/8 teaspoon of xanthan gum in any sauce you make at home. When it’s time to reheat the sauce people complain about separation. This happens because the sauce was stabilized. Things like xanthan gum, cornstarch, arrowroot and even flour help keep the ingredients in a sauce together when it’s reheated.
This recipe keeps well in a storage container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. However, I advise against freezing it due to the dairy.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I use another meat besides sausage?
Can I buy alfredo sauce from the store on keto?
Yes you can, make sure to read the label for any hidden extra carbs. The sauce will have some naturally occurring carbohydrates but those are fine. Look for any added sugar or starches.
Do I have to use cabbage?
There are other greens you can use in place of cabbage. Or even keto friendly noodles like zucchini or butternut squash zoodles. Have you seen or heard of palmini noodles that use hearts of palm?
Is cabbage and sausage keto?
Yes, cabbage is a low net carb vegetable* and sausage is a great tasting protein with little to no carbs as well. This keto sausage and cabbage alfredo is a great recipe with only 9g net carbs per serving.
What to eat with keto sausage and cabbage alfredo?
Try these alternatives
Keto Sausage And Cabbage Alfredo
- 1/2 head green cabbage
- 1/2 sliced onion
- 8 ounce sausage
- oil for cooking
- 5 ounce parmesan cheese
- 2 ounce cream cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum (recommend, see notes)
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped parsley
- In a pot on medium high heat add in melted butter. Once butter has melted add in minced garlic. Cook garlic until it browns
- Once garlic has browned lower the heat to medium low and add in parmesan cheese and cream cheese. Allow these to slowly melt as you continue to stir.
- When cheeses have melted together it will look like a melted blob of cheese. Now, slowly add in heavy cream while stirring the cheese. Heavy cream should mix in well until the blob turns into a actual sauce.
- In a small bowl or plate, add the salt, pepper and xanthan gum together and make sure to mix them around. Now with a whisk in one hand, add the seasoning mix all at once and quickly whisk it in. You want to mix in the xanthan gum before it can clump together.
- Lastly, add in chopped parsley. Set to the side until your sausage and cabbage is finish. Keep low heat to it and continue to stir so the bottom doesn't brown and it doesn't get too cold.
Sausage and cabbage alfredo
- Slice up the sausage, cabbage and your onion.
- In a pot on medium high heat, add in about 1 TB of oil for cooking. Toss in the chopped sausage first.
- When the sausage has seared add in the sliced onion then salt and pepper the onion. Continue cooking until the onion starts to brown.
- Once onion is cooked lower the heat to medium and add in chopped cabbage. Continue to stir while cooking because the onions and sausage will try to settle to the bottom.
- After you add the cabbage add a little more oil in. About 2 TB. Cook until cabbage has withered and is a soft texture. Once the cabbage is done remove from heat, salt and pepper to taste.
- Take most of the Alfredo sauce and mix it throughout the sausage and cabbage. When serving drizzle some sauce over the top, garnish with parsley and shredded parmesan. Enjoy.