Keto chicken alfredo casserole that you bake into a creamy, cheesy meal that’s perfect for family and friends. This low carb keto casserole is only 2g net carbs per serving, follow my simple tips on the best way to make it cheesy and delicious.
You’re short on time, one child wants this the other is asking for fast food. Yet, you are here just happy to able know the dog will take whatever you give him.
Keto chicken alfredo casserole is something you can bake with ease and know it will turn out delicious. A creamier version of my keto alfredo sauce mixed in with sautéed broccoli, seared chicken and topped with a classic cheese.
The tricks to the perfect keto casserole is within the sauce.
Below, I will dig into the details to make everything easy for you.
The sauce can be a little tricky but following my step by step instructions it’ll be a breeze.
How To Make Keto Chicken Alfredo Casserole
Don’t forget these ingredients
- Chicken Breast
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Cream Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh Parsley
- Minced Garlic
- Salt & Black Pepper
- Italian Seasoning
- Xanthan gum (see notes)
Follow these helpful tips, mistakes to avoid
- Shred or grated your own cheese. Pre-shredded cheese has cellulose which is a non-caking agent. In reality it is also a non melting agent. I can spot a mile away when someone uses this cheese because of flavor and look. You are creating a keto cheese sauce for the base so it needs to melt together easily.
- Do you need xanthan gum, no you don’t. It does nothing for flavor but it keeps the alfredo sauce together when you reheat the keto chicken alfredo casserole.
Bake the keto chicken alfredo casserole
- Chop the broccoli florets up roughly, not super small pieces. You want to keep those chunks. Also, shred and grate the cheeses. You can just chop the parmesan but the finer it is the quicker it will melt.
- To start, slice the chicken breast into strips. This makes the cooking time quicker. Season them with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Get a good sear on them, don’t stress if they aren’t cooked through they will cook fully in the oven.
- Now, in the same pan add in chopped broccoli. You just want to sear the broccoli to add some flavor to it and season with salt and pepper. Once broccoli has browned remove from the pan and turn off the stove.
- In a saucepan on medium high heat, add butter and when the butter melts toss in minced garlic. Cook garlic until it is fragrant and browned then lower the heat to medium low and add in the parmesan and cream cheese.
- Next, continue cooking until those cheese have melted together. Then, you want to slowly pour in the heavy cream.
- Now, while pouring in the heavy cream you’ll notice it thinning out and turning into more of a sauce but it will be thick.
- Then, after you have finished adding in all the heavy cream remove the sauce from the stove and turn off the heat. Add in your chopped parsley, salt, pepper, xanthan gum and nutmeg. Taste for everything and adjust where you like. The starting points are low.
- In a 8×8 casserole dish, toss in chopped chicken, broccoli and alfredo sauce. Across the top, spread the mozzarella cheese and bake in a pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Allow the keto chicken alfredo casserole to cool before serving.
Storing after you bake and serve
This casserole will keep in the refrigerator 3-4 days. Everything is fresh but if you use a store bought alfredo sauce it will last longer since the ingredients aren’t fresh.
If you use xanthan gum you can freeze this casserole. However, if not the heavy cream will not freeze well. It will separate when you go to reheat it out of the refrigerator as well. Once again, xanthan gum isn’t necessary but highly recommended.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is alfredo high in carbs?
Not in this recipe! This keto chicken alfredo casserole is only 2g net carbs per serving. Traditionally, flour is used to thicken a alfredo sauce.
What can I use besides heavy cream?
In order to substitute the heavy cream you will have to adjust the volume. For example, you could use almond milk but you’d need much less, probably less than half. But, slowly pour it as you add it in and it will be fine. You don’t want a super thin sauce for this recipe, keep a close eye on that.
Could I use cauliflower?
You can swap out the cauliflower with the broccoli 1:1, or even do half of each. Vegetables are always great on the keto diet*, try it with cooked spinach as well.
You may also like these alfredo recipes
- Keto Chicken Alfredo
- Sausage & Cabbage Alfredo
- Fettuccine Keto Alfredo
- Keto Shrimp Alfredo
- Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo
What to serve with keto chicken alfredo casserole
- Almond Flour Biscuits
- Keto Cornbread
- Cheddar Bay Biscuits (Red Lobster Copycat)
Keto Chicken Alfredo Casserole
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 ounce cream cheese
- 4 ounces Pamesan Cheese
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum (see notes below)
- nutmeg to taste
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 cup broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup mozzarella
- Set pan to medium high heat
- Add butter then minced garlic. Once garlic has browned lower the heat to medium low and add in cream cheese and parmesan cheese
- Continue to stir cream cheese and parmesan until they have both melted evenly. The cream cheese will melt quickly but the parmesan will take longer. It will look like a thick pool of cheese.
- Once melted slowly pour in heavy cream while stirring while pouring and making sure it's coming together with the cheese. The thick pool will begin to thin out and resemble an actual sauce.
- Remove from heat, add in chopped parsley. In a small bowl to the side add in salt, black pepper and xanthan gum. Mix them together. With the bowl in one hand and a whisk in the other pour in the seasoning and quickly whisk it in. Whisk for about 5 seconds. See notes below.
- Lastly, taste for salt and pepper. Grate fresh nutmeg to taste or slowly add in ground nutmeg until desired flavor is reached.
- Slice chicken breast into thin strips, roughly chop broccoli, chop parsley then grate and shred the cheese. Fresh mozzarella is a bit of a pain to grate so you can slice and chop it if you're short on patience.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In a pan on high heat add a little oil and sear the chicken strips. Make sure they get a good sear and season them with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. They don't have to cook all the way through because they will cook in the oven.
- In the same pan add in the broccoli, season with salt and pepper. You're only looking to add some coloring for flavor with the broccoli. Once browned and fragrant remove it from the heat.
- In a 8×8 baking dish, add in the chicken, broccoli and the sauce you made earlier. Mix everything evenly and pat it down. Top off with the mozzarella cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cheese has melted. Remove from oven and allow it to cool before serving.