Keto fettuccine alfredo in a delicious, creamy alfredo sauce in under 30 minutes. And it’s only 5 net carbs per serving!
What is really more classic than a keto fettuccine alfredo?
Keep reading, that problem has already been solved.
At only 5g net carbs per serving you get a delicious keto meal in no time with low carbohydrates. Nothing else is better.
How To Make Keto Fettuccine Alfredo
Check off these ingredient first
- Keto fettuccine noodles or any keto pasta noodles
- Parmesan Cheese
- Heavy Cream
- Cream Cheese
Tips to avoid mistakes
- Keep your homemade alfredo sauce from separating by using xanthan gum*. If you buy store bought it already has it in there. Xanthan gum is used as a stabilizer. If you don’t use it, the sauce will separate in your leftovers.
- Keto pasta noodles will take some getting use to, you didn’t make the recipe wrong. The texture is different but the flavor is all in the sauce just like regular pasta.
Making the keto fettuccine alfredo recipe
- First, you need to prepare the noodles per the packaging. Below, I recommend a few brands to buy keto fettuccine noodles. But, for this recipe I am using Liviva. You prepare them by washing them then drying the noodles. Set them to the side because we will come back to them.
- Next, you need to make the alfredo sauce.
- Start by melting butter in a medium hot skillet or pot.
- While butter is melting add a tablespoon of minced garlic or chop about 4-5 cloves of fresh garlic.
- Next, once you have sautéed the garlic lower the heat and add in the cream cheese and parmesan cheese.
- Then, continue cooking until the cream cheese and parmesan cheese have formed into a melted ball of cheese. While you stir, make sure the parmesan has melted into the cream cheese. This will take about 5 minutes, the cream cheese will melt first since it’s a soft cheese.
- Now, slowly pour in the heavy cream a little at a time while mixing. You will see the cheese start to thin out and the creaminess of the sauce will start to form. Make sure the heat is still medium low. It will not need to simmer, everything is already done at this point. Remove from heat.
- Next, you need to season the alfredo sauce. Add in freshly chopped parsley. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Finally, add a touch of freshly grated nutmeg to taste. If you only have ground that is fine as well. See notes on how to add xanthan gum in the recipe card below.
- Then, put the pot back on a very low heat and add the noodles from earlier into the pot. Continue to stir them in then remove them from the heat. Let the noodles sit in the pot for about 5 minutes to try to pick up the flavors in the sauce.
- Lastly, plate the keto fettuccine alfredo. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and grate some parmesan cheese across the top.
How to store the recipe leftovers
This recipe keeps in the refrigerator for 3 days in a sealed storage container. You can also freeze it as long as you use xanthan gum when making the sauce. Otherwise, heavy cream does not freeze well and the separation will be terrible.
Variations & Options
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are the best noodles for keto fettuccine alfredo?
There are so many noodle options from zoodles, spaghetti squash, palmini noodles and miracle noodles. However below are brands you can purchase that are actual keto friendly fettuccine noodles:
Are pasta noodles keto friendly?
No, not even the whole wheat versions. That is why above I listed keto friendly pasta options for you. You can find brands like Miracle Noodles, Palmini and LIVIVA in some grocery stores.
What can I use instead of noodles for alfredo?
If you were to try the keto pasta noodles and not like them there are options. A semi popular recipe is cabbage and sausage alfredo where cabbage is used. Butternut squash is popular and you can easily find zoodles (zucchini noodles) in most grocery stores.
What to serve with keto fettuccine alfredo?
Keto fettuccine alfredo
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 ounce cream cheese
- 5 ounces Pamesan Cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum (see notes below)
- nutmeg to taste
- 1 pack of keto fettuccine noodles (noodles used in measurements are LIVIVA)
Prepare the sauce
- Set pan to medium high heat
- Add butter then minced garlic. Once garlic has browned lower the heat to medium low and add in cream cheese and parmesan cheese
- Continue to stir cream cheese and parmesan until they have both melted evenly. The cream cheese will melt quickly but the parmesan will take longer. It will look like a thick pool of cheese.
- Once melted slowly pour in heavy cream while stirring while pouring and making sure it's coming together with the cheese. The thick pool will begin to thin out and resemble an actual sauce.
- Remove from heat, add in chopped parsley. In a small bowl to the side add in salt, black pepper and xanthan gum. Mix them together. With the bowl in one hand and a whisk in the other pour in the seasoning and quickly whisk it in. Whisk for about 5 seconds. See notes below.
- Lastly, taste for salt and pepper. Grate fresh nutmeg to taste or slowly add in ground nutmeg until desired flavor is reached.
For the noodles
- Prepare noodles according to the package.
- Prior to serving allow the noodles to sit in the sauce in the pot you made the alfredo sauce in for about 5 minutes on low heat. Continue to stir during this time to prevent the sauce or the noodles burning at the bottom.
- ***Nutrition facts are based off of LIVIVA noodles.