A sheet pan of oven roasted sausage, peppers and onions recipe with Italian seasoning for an easy clean up one dish dinner. Super easy, simply chop up your veggies then place in the oven for it to cook through then serve on your favorite bun or as a hoagie!
State fair me please! There’s nothing like walking past the booths and getting the scent of the sausages, peppers and onions on the skillets. Now, at home you can make something very similar having your peppers recipe made in the oven. A sheet-pan dinner that features easy clean up. You can chop the sausage up or use the whole links and get that crispy skin fresh from the oven. Turn up the heat with the flavor of spicy Italian sausage or keep it mild, either way the recipe will still be delicious.
How To Cook Sausage Peppers And Onions In Oven
- Italian Sausage (hot or mild)
- Bell Peppers (green, yellow & red)
- Olive Oil
- Italian Seasoning
- Salt & Pepper
Seasoning & Oven Baking Instructions
First, grab a delicious sausage. I personally love Niman Farms Italian sausage but any of your favorite such as hot Italian sausage will do.
In the photo you may notice a seared sausage. The only way to achieve this is to cook the sausage directly on top of the vegetables. Now, if they don’t give enough color you can always sear later but that will add an extra dish.
The other option, which I use when I cook is to use the entire sausage on top of the peppers and onions. Spray a little oil, then bake directly in the oven. What this does is brown the sausage and cause the casing or skin to get crispy.
Cut up whole bell peppers and slice half an onion. In a mixing bowl drizzle or spray with olive oil then Italian seasoning and salt then toss sliced veggies in there.
Next, grab a roasting pan lined with foil and spread out a layer of veggies then top with the Italian sausage links. Place in a preheated oven for 30 minutes and remove for fresh baked veggies and sausages. Serve over rice, pasta, on a bun or make a hoagie out of it.
How To Store
When I have leftovers they keep well in a sealed storage container for at least 3 days in the refrigerator. I personally have never frozen them. But, reheating is great in the microwave, stove top or oven and make them very versatile to add to other dishes like marinara sauce and pasta later on.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How long do you cook sausages in the oven?
Cooking sheet pan sausage in the oven doesn’t take very long at all. You want to cook them at a high temperature for about 20-25 minutes.
What peppers do I use?
In this recipe, we use green, red and yellow bell peppers. Of course the peppers are flexible but I suggest you stick to bell peppers only.
Do you cook onions and peppers first?
No, this is a sheet pan recipe. You make and cook everything together. It makes it easier on yourself with less dishes to clean up afterward. To add, once one thing is done so is everything else so not stages of cooking.
What type of sausage do I use?
The recipe calls for Italian sausage. Now, you can choose between hot or mild flavor if you like more spice. But, when it comes to the type of sausage I suggest Italian.
What To Serve With Sausage Peppers And Onions
There’s a few options that you can do with this recipe:
- Top on bed of rice or cauliflower rice
- Make into sandwiches or hoagie roll topped with cheese or plain mustard
- Try it with eggs! I am keto and reheated this with my breakfast you’ll be amazed.
- Eat them naked, this recipe is great straight out of the oven you don’t have to add anything if you’re lost.
- Add potatoes in with the veggies and taste the crisp skin!
- Pasta works as well
Recipes You Will Enjoy!
How To Roast The Best Sheet Pan Sausage, Peppers And Onions
- Sheet pan
- 4-6 links Italian sausage
- 3 sliced Green, yellow, red bell pepper (One of each color)
- 1 sliced Onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fine ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Slice the bell peppers and onion. Then toss in the olive oil, salt, pepper and italian seasoning
- Line peppers and onions on sheet pan evenly as possible. Place sausages on top whole. Spray or brush them with oil and make sure they are on top of the veggies so they can brown and the skin can crisp up.
- Bake 30 minutes
- Remove and serve.