A chicken cabbage stir fry ready in under 20 minutes. A keto, gluten free and Whole30 recipe with juicy chunks of chicken and a serving of healthy veggies.
The only cuisine I love more than Spanish is Asian or Chinese inspired recipes. Whether they are authentic or not doesn’t worry me. If they aren’t I’ll find out whenever I get the chance to travel to the country. Soy sauce isn’t my favorite choice although delicious. Simply due the soy of course. Luckily there is a paleo and gluten free option of coconut aminos!
What Does Coconut Aminos Taste Like
No one would tell me this! But, I won’t leave you dry. Honestly, coconut aminos taste like soy sauce. Well, similar! What I have noticed is coconut aminos has a slight sweeter in taste than just plain soy sauce. But, it lacks gluten and is soy free and who doesn’t love a slight sweetness added.
What Cut Of Chicken Is Best For Stir Fry
In this recipe I have used chicken breast each time. But, I have used chicken tenders, thin chicken breast and whole chicken breast chopped into chunks. It doesn’t matter as long as it is chicken breast. I personally think the thinly sliced chicken breast work the best but in the photos you see the chunks of cut whole chicken breast.
How To Make Chicken Cabbage Stir Fry
First, you have to chop up all the ingredients. This looks times consuming but you will be finished in 10 minutes. Chop up a full head of small cabbage, bell pepper, broccoli and chicken.
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add to a hot frying pan on high heat and sear chicken, don’t let it brown too much before adding in broccoli and bell pepper. You want a little color for flavor but taking it too far will make it look burnt over beautiful. Lower the heat if you notice things are blowing too much.
Add cabbage last, then lower the heat slightly. Pour in soy sauce or coconut aminos, Chinese five spice and optional oyster sauce.
Continue cooking, you want the cabbage to be withered all the way. Taste test, the directions are a great start but sometimes when I make this I may need a little more soy sauce/coconut aminos or oil.
Helpful Recipe Tips
- For gluten free, use coconut aminos because soy sauce has gluten in it. Also skip the oyster sauce as well. Although great it’s mainly for a thickener. Think tomato sauce and tomato paste.
- For the keto diet, skip the oyster sauce and be careful with red bell peppers. You can always skip or sub for green.
- Add more oil when needed. Due to the heat the veggies or meat can start to look a little dry. Simply add a little more oil when needed. Taste test for the sauce as well or salt. Depending on the size of the cabbage the water can wash away the flavor a little.
Recipes You’ll Love
How To Make A True Asian Touch With Chicken Cabbage Stir Fry
- 8 ounces skinless chicken breast
- 1 head small head cabbage
- 1 sliced red bell pepper
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 teaspoon chinese five spice (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoon oil for cooking
- 1 tablespoon seasame oil
Stir Fry Sauce
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce ()
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Chop all veggies and chicken up, then season chicken with salt and pepper. Make stir fry sauce then set aside.
- In a hot frying pan make sure it's big enough to hold all the ingredients set it to high heat and add oil for cooking, not seasme oil
- Place chicken in pan, sear and cook until done. When finished remove from pan then go to next step
- Add broccoli and bell peppers. Season and cook, once done remove from pan then go to next step
- Place cabbage in. If looking dry add a little oil. Cook until tender with a slight crunch. Add about 1/2 teaspoon of salt to cabbage then pour in stir fry sauce.
- Once you have mixed stir fry sauce in add everything back in the pan together and mix a little to marinate flavor. Takes about 1 minutes then turn off heat.
- Taste to see if you need to add more soy sauce/coconut aminos or salt. Add only 1 tsp soy sauce/coconut aminos at a time or 1/2 tsp salt at a time you don't want to go over. See notes why...
- Add tablespoon of seasme oil then serve.