Cabbage stir fry is a great vegetarian stir fry dish that’s also vegan friendly. Easy to make and can be eaten as is or on top of rice or noodles. A base recipe with a homemade stir fry sauce. Chicken, pork or even beef can be added to give the recipe some added protein.
Creating a recipe for cabbage stir fry was as easy as making the stir fry sauce. Stir fry recipes are cooked super fast and easy to make which is why they are on a regular rotation in my house. This cabbage version is perfect for vegans and vegetarians. You have the option to add meat but this entire recipe is all plant based!
What Is Stir Fry
Stir fry is a Chinese way of cooking. It is based off off cooking on high heat very quickly. Typically, you’ll see a wok used for these recipes because it allows more of stirring and flipping with the higher sides. The meat used is sliced very thin for a quick cook and the vegetables are left with a slight crunch.
Is Stir Fry Healthy
This is very debatable! I feel like some aren’t and others aren’t. Most Chinese dishes have been Americanized with tons of sugar which isn’t typical of their dishes. Granted, some dishes do have sugar in them but it’s for a slight sweetness. Not such as sesame chicken which is covered in honey. The average dish from Chinese culture I’d consider very healthy.
What To Serve With Cabbage Stir Fry
This recipe can be eaten as is. But, some great options are listed below. Stir fry recipes are normally eaten this way but feel free to make things to your liking.
- More veggies
How To Make Cabbage Stir Fry
When starting, cut up a head of cabbage. Make sure the strips are thin. Remember this is going to be a fast cook and that is the key to keep things moving.
Now, heat up wok or skillet. Non-stick isn’t recommended for this recipe due to its high heat. Stainless steel or cast iron will work perfectly since woks tend to be made from these materials commonly.
Add a little oil then sauté minced garlic and green onions. When onion has become translucent add in shredded cabbage and onion.
Then, cook until the cabbage has softened. Continue mixing the entire time. When cabbage is tender pour in stir fry sauce. Stir in in but allow it to cook a little to thicken. Once the sauce has thickened you can turn off heat and serve.
Due to the quickness of the recipe be sure that if adding noodle or rice to cook beforehand.
Helpful Recipe Tips
- Don’t overcook cabbage, you are looking for cabbage to wither just a little. You want to cook them but maintain the natural crunch it has.
- High heat, stir fry is made to be cooked hot and fast. Keep heat high but depending on the pan you’re using look to make adjustments if the heat climbs too high and starts to burn the pan. This is why a wok is recommended but not everyone has one, including me.
Chinese Stir Fry Recipes You’ll Love
- Chicken Cabbage Stir Fry
- Keto Egg Roll In A Bowl
- Beef & Broccoli Keto Stir Fry
- Chicken & Broccoli Stir Fry
- Pork Stir Fry
Cabbage Stir Fry
- 3 cup shredded cabbage
- 4 ounce shredded carrots
- 2 stalks green onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
Stir Fry Sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- Make the stir fry sauce then set aside for use. Simply combine all ingredients and give it a mix. Quick tip, give it another mix right before pouring into pan
- Slice cabbage thinly, cut green onion and grate ginger if using.
- Turn pan or wok on medium/high heat and add a little oil. Add in minced garlic, onion and ginger. Cook until garlic is brown or onions are translucent. Whichever comes first.
- Turn heat to high and cabbage and shredded carrots. Continue mixing until you see cabbage has softened and withered. Cabbage should still have a slight crunch and not mushy.
- Pour in stir fry sauce and mix until sauce thickens. When sauce has thickened remove from heat and serve. Quick tip, if eating with rice or noodles cook those first before making stir fry.
Helpful Recipe Tips
- Don't overcook cabbage, you are looking for cabbage to wither just a little. You want to cook them but maintain the natural crunch it has.
- High heat, stir fry is made to be cooked hot and fast. Keep heat high but depending on the pan you're using look to make adjustments if the heat climbs too high and starts to burn the pan. This is why a wok is recommended but not everyone has one, including me.