Almond flour chicken tenders are a great option when you want to keep things low carb and healthy. Fitting every diet from paleo, whole30 and keto using almond flour is a gluten free alternative. So, dive in these juicy chicken tenders spiced to perfection!
You’ll fall in love with these almond flour chicken tenders from the ease and how delicious they are. I used the spices from my Popeye’s chicken sandwich because the flavor was mind blowing. Yet, here you get all the flavor with half the work. Some parts have a crispy texture but the entire tender isn’t crispy. Almond flour typically gets hard after cooling completely but these aren’t cookies. You want them while they are still hot!
Can I Sub Almond Flour For Coconut Flour
No, this isn’t a recipe where you can do that. Coconut flour is a disaster when trying to fry it. But, there is hope! Two great alternatives are whey protein isolate make sure there is no added sugar. The other is crushed pork rinds. With the pork rinds that will give you a crispy texture in every bite.
- Unsweetened ketchup (see my review of multiple brands)
- Sugar free barbecue sauce (try Sweet Baby Rays it’s great)
- Primal Kitchen Buffalo Sauce (amazing flavor)
How To Make Breaded Chicken Tenders With Almond Flour
First, get a pack of chicken tenders or you can slice up a chicken breast yourself. But, who wants extra work?
Next, make you seasoned almond flour mix. Be sure it’s almond flour and not almond meal, see tips below. Add all spices into flour.
In a small bowl, beat an egg on the side. You’ll need this for dipping.
Dip each chicken tender inside the egg. Then, transfer into almond flour breading and coat evenly. I like to drop the chicken tender in the pat the flour on. This has been the best method for even covering.
Place on a baking sheet or rack. I highly recommend a baking rack for even air circulation around the chicken tender. Or, if you have an air fryer you can use that as well.
Bake for 13-15 minutes then flip and finish baking another 10 minutes. Allow to cool a little because when almond flour is hot it’s very crumbly. Serve!
Helpful Recipe Tips
- Marinate chicken strips. Make a marinade with olive or coconut oil about 2 TB with the spice mix. You’ll need to make another for the breading so you’ll have to double it.
- For even coating, don’t place in a bag and shake this isn’t going to work very well with the lack of gluten and starches.
- Blanched almond flour and not almond meal, almond meal has the husk and prevents proper bonding. To add, it’s not as fine either and won’t produce a good product.
Can I Freeze Them
Yes! But, you’ll have to freeze them for later a certain way. Don’t cook them first. Toss in the egg and flour then on parchment paper on something unlikely to stick place them in the freezer. After they have hardened then you can toss them in a freezer safe storage bag. Using this method the breading would actually stick even better in cooking.
Bake Or Air Fry
You can do both but be mindful on what you bake them on. In the air fryer the breading may stick to the grate so placing parchment paper down will keep them from doing this. In the oven, placing them on a baking sheet may result in the bottom portion becoming soggy and losing the breading on that side. The best method would be on a oven safe rack that you oiled and they shouldn’t stick much if any. I baked on an oven rack for the photos you see!
Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
Almond flour chicken tenders
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Combine the almond flour and all the ingredients under the spice mix together
- In a small bowl beat the one egg. Add your now seasoned flour to a plate and place bowl and plate side by side
- Dip the chicken tender in the egg the place it in the plate. Pat the flour on the chickne tender evenly on both sides then place the tender on a baking rack. Repeat until all the tenders are done.
- Place in oven for 15 minutes then flip and bake for a remaing 10 minutes. Allow to cool a bit when you first remove them because almond flour is very fragile while piping hot.
- Use the same cooking method and times if using an air fryer but you may need to add parchment paper if the plate is prone to sticking
Helpful Recipe Tips
- Marinate chicken strips. Make a marinade with olive or coconut oil about 2 TB with the spice mix. You'll need to make another for the breading so you'll have to double it.
- For even coating, don't place in a bag and shake this isn't going to work very well with the lack of gluten and starches.
- Blanched almond flour and not almond meal, almond meal has the husk and prevents proper bonding. To add, it's not as fine either and won't produce a good product.