Spicy sausage pasta is easy to make with a restaurant quality taste. A creamy tomato sauce with spicy Italian sausage is great any night of the week.
We love pasta recipes but most people don’t know that a simple pasta recipe is still delicious.
This spicy sausage pasta was made for a night where you want a quick and easy meal. But, you do not want to sacrifice on taste.
I will plug some great variations to spice up the pasta even more but the base recipe is super simple and you should be ready to eat in 30 minutes or less.
This fresh tomato based spicy sausage pasta has a creamy sauce with penne pasta noodles or whatever noodles you’d like to choose.
How To Make Spicy Sausage Pasta
- Italian sausge
- Penne pasta (any pasta will work)
- Crushed tomatoes
- Tomato paste
- Fire roasted diced tomatoes
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream
- Thyme & oregano
- Yellow onion
- Balsamic vinegar
- Salt & black pepper
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
Tips & variations
- Make it spicier, this pasta has a simple kick of heat to it but you can up this by adding crushed bell peppers, habanero, jalapeño and things like that.
- Prep all the ingredients before starting. Once you start cooking the recipe will move very fast. As mentioned, 30minutes or less.
- Try a homemade sauce with the recipe like a cherry tomato sauce.
- If you can’t find ground Italian sausage you have the options to use a link. If using a link I would suggest removing the casing over slicing it into pieces.
Making the spicy sausage pasta
- First, in a pot or sauce pan on medium high heat, add a little oil and the spicy Italian sausage. Cook until done then remove from the pot.
- Next, toss in diced onion and fire roasted diced tomatoes. Add more oil for cooking about 2-3 tablespoons.
- Now, cook the onion until fragrant and translucent. Then, add in the minced garlic cloves and season with salt and black pepper.
- Once the garlic starts to brown add in the tomato paste and cook the pasta by mixing it in with the other ingredients for about 30 seconds. Also, toss in the cooked sausage, dried oregano and thyme now.
- Next, pour in the can of crushed tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer.
- Add in the balsamic vinegar, while the sauce is simmering cook the pasta. This way when the pasta is al dente you can toss it directly into the sauce after you drain the water.
- While the pasta is cooking remove the sauce from the heat after it has simmered about 10 minutes. Before adding the pasta into the sauce pour in the heavy cream. Do not add the heavy cream while the sauce is still boiling.
- When pasta is done, toss into the sauce and plate. Serve the spicy Italian sausage with a garnish of parmesan cheese.
This recipe makes about 4 servings. The best way to store it is in an airtight container in the fridge up to 3-4 days. Due to the heavy cream this is not a recipe to be frozen for later.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do you tone done hot italian sausage?
This recipe isn’t too spicy but different brands of sausage will vary. The two ways to bring down the heat are dairy and sugar. This is why the heavy cream and balsamic vinegar are used in this recipe. However, I’d suggest adding sugar in or using regular diced tomatoes instead of fire roasted.
What’s the best pasta for this recipe?
I used penne pasta but any pasta will work. You can even use spaghetti with it if you’d like. Fun pastas like bow tie are great as well but the options are endless. If you have something laying around the house use that rather than go buy more pasta just for this dish.
What to serve with spicy Italian pasta?
This works as a full dish but below are some great side dishes:
Spicy Italian Pasta
- 16 ounces ground spicy Italian sausage
- 16 ounces penne pasta, dry
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 10 ounce can of fire roasted diced tomato, drained & rinsed
- 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 3 ounce can of tomato paste
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- oil for cooking
- 1/2 cup heavy cream