Keto salmon cakes are a quick dinner recipe that’s healthy and ready in under 30 minutes. Packed with healthy omega fats and loaded with flavor this crispy, lemon drenched salmon patties the entire family will love!
At this point, I have made several fish cake or fish patty recipes. I still don’t understand the need for pork rinds, almond flour or even breadcrumbs. My methods I never have problems with the mixture holding together while handling it or while cooking. I smell a conspiracy to make us inject more carbs. I think maybe the pork rinds brings a crispy effect as well as breadcrumbs but mine still come out crispy around the edges. I’m going to need my fellow bloggers to go back to the drawing board!
Is Canned Salmon Healthy
Depends on the sourcing of the salmon. Wild caught is always best and they do sell canned wild caught salmon in the store. Be sure to read your labels always. I used wild caught canned salmon in this recipe.
Can I Use Fresh Salmon Instead
Yes, simply bake the salmon until completely done. Next, take fork and just tear it apart. Afterwards, proceed with normal recipe steps.
How To Make Keto Salmon Cakes
First, open your canned salmon and drain the water.
Next, in a mixing bowl mash up the salmon pieces. You will notice bones but see below for tips. Season with salt, black pepper and garlic powder. Dice one full shallot up and toss into the mixture as well.
Then, add mayo, egg. Now, you’ll notice it all sticking together. Optional, but add 1/2 cup of shredded cheese into the mix for extra binding and flavor. Preferably finely shredded unless you shred your own.
In a heated frying pan with oil on medium/high heat place keto salmon cakes in. Fry until each side is golden brown in color. Cakes will be fully cooked through when this happens so now worries unless your heat is too high. Each side should receive a minimum of 2-3 minutes frying.
Remove from heat and serve immediately. Salmon patties cool really quickly.
Is Canned Salmon Already Cooked
Yes, canned salmon is already cooked. The can is designed for the salmon to be eaten straight from the can.
Are Canned Salmon Bones Edible
Yes, you can eat the bones. Due to the process of how they cook the salmon the bones are extremely soft. I personally remove the spine but that is personal preference. After the salmon cakes are done cooking you won’t know there was ever a bone there.
Recipes You’ll Love
Keto Salmon Cakes
- 1 can wild caught salmon
- 1/2 diced shallot (sub for onion)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoon mayo
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Drain canned salmon of water. Add to a mixing bowl and use a fork to chop it up finely
- Dice up half a shallot
- Inside the bowl toss in shallot, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, egg and mayo. Give a good mix
- Next add in finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- Using a heaping tablespoon form cakes in hand. I was able to get 8 cakes from this recipe
- In a frying pan with oil on medium/high heat place salmon cakes and cook until golden brown on each side. Should take a minimum of 2-3 minutes per side.
- When done squirt with lemon juice
- For air fryer: preheat on 400°F and cook for 8 minutes