If you love a green bean casserole with a delicious cream of mushroom with seasoned onions on top, you have found the perfect keto recipe! At only 5g net carbs per serving you can have a delicious casserole with your Thanksgiving or any holiday meal and stay in ketosis.
A ton of bloggers are claiming their keto green bean casserole taste the same as the original. That’s just not possibly because the French’s crispy onions are breaded with flour and not keto friendly or gluten free. However, using a version of a keto onion ring you can top the green bean casserole with sliced onion breaded with seasoned almond flour. Sounds odd? Trust me, it works more than you think and the cream of mushroom sauce is packed with a ton of flavor.
A keto green bean casserole is the perfect replacement into your Thanksgiving keto recipes. When starting keto, you think how will I make it during the holidays and continue my weightless? These things don’t have to be an issue when you have a full selection of casseroles, desserts and side dishes!
How To Make A Keto Green Bean Casserole
- Fresh Green Beans
- Chicken Stock
- Heavy Cream
- Cream Cheese
- Blanched Almond Flour
- Salt & Pepper
Prep & Baking Instructions
- First, prep by slicing a half of an onion thinly then cut fresh string beans in half. For easier serving you want shorter string beans. Also, chop mushrooms up into small pieces as in the recipe video.
- Now, you want to steam the string beans some. This will cook them some and release excess water. Steam them about 5-8 minutes but allow them to still have a snap.
- In a small pot on high heat add minced mushrooms. The water will begin to release but let them cook until all the water has evaporated. When the water is gone lower the heat to medium high.
- Then, grate four cloves of garlic over the mushrooms. Cook these until the garlic is golden and fragrant. Next, add in cream cheese. Then, once the cream cheese has melted some, add the heavy cream and chicken stock/broth.
- Allow to simmer a little but don’t let it boil. Let it simmer about 10 minutes, if it starts to boil lower the heat. Now, remove from the heat and mix the salt, pepper and xanthan gum together. Toss in the seasoning mix and quick whisk the cream of mushroom together.
- In a 8×8 baking dish, add the steamed string beans and pour over the cream of mushroom you just made.
- To the side, mix seasoned almond flour, sliced onion and melted butter together. Spread the onion and breading across the the top of the casserole.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until the top is mostly golden. Remove allow to cool a bit then serve.
Helpful Recipe Tips
- Subbing xanthan gum, this is used in the recipe to thicken the cream of mushroom sauce. If you want to avoid using this then adding more cream cheese and less chicken stock/broth is the way. Now, if you do use this method understand the taste of cream cheese will be stronger and you may have to use less string beans.
- Tips with xanthan gum, in the recipe video you will see that I used the xanthan gum mixed with the salt and pepper. This prevents the xanthan gum from clumping and cause lumps in the whisking process.
- Onion topping, the almond flour doesn’t really stick to the onions. You need gluten for that but simply sprinkle them together and as the onions bake down they will come together more. In the end, they will provide the perfect onion topping you’re looking for.
How To Store
Due to the ingredients never leave the green bean casserole on the counter too long unless you’re serving. If you want to place leftovers in the freezer that will work just fine. In the refrigerator, the casserole will keep 3-4 days.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can you eat green bean casserole on a keto diet?
A traditional green bean casserole is topped with crispy onions. These onions are breaded. They are full of carbohydrates but the topping is actually the most carb rich part of the casserole. This recipe makes it so you can eat as much as you’d like. However, if you’re doing dirty keto you could have traditional in small servings.
Is cream of mushroom keto friendly?
Maybe you don’t want to make the cream of mushroom from scratch so you rather try the canned soup. Well, the canned soup doesn’t have great ingredients and there are about 7g of carbs per 1/2 cup.
How many carbs in a keto green bean casserole?
In this recipe I use an 8×8 baking dish broken into 9 serving. One serving is only 5g net carbs each!
What can I eat with a green bean casserole?
Keto Green Bean Casserole With A Breaded Onion Topping
- 3 cups cut green beans
Cream of Mushroom
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup heavy cream (or coconut cream)
- 2 ounce full fat cream cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum (may need more)
- 1/2 sliced onion
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Use fresh string beans only. Fresh in the bag is fine but not frozen or canned. Slice them in half so they aren't too long.
- Steam string beans for 5-8 minutes until they haven't softened a little with a slight crunch. Set aside.
- Cut and slice the mushrooms finely. Slice 1/2 onion thinly for topping then set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
Cream of Mushroom
- In a pot on high heat add in mushrooms. They will release water and continue to cook until all the water has evaporated. Once water has evaporated lower the heat to medium high. Then grate the garlic cloves over the mushrooms and cook until fragrant and golden.
- Lower the heat to medium and add in cream cheese and mix into mushrooms and garlic. Pour in heavy cream and chicken broth.
- Do not let it come to full boil, allow it to steam but if it starts to simmer too much lower the heat a little. Continue to let it simmer about 10 minutes.
- Combine xanthan gum, salt and black pepper together. Then, sprinkle over the cream of mushroom and quickly whisk it for a minute or two. Remove from heat and set aside.
Make The Casserole
- Add steamed string beans into casserole dish then top with cream of mushroom sauce you made.
- In a seperate bowl mix salt and pepper into almond flour. Then toss almond flour and onions together. Most of the flour won't stick until the next step.
- Melt 2 TB of butter and pour over mixed almond flour and onions. Mix enough to where everything is coated and somewhat sticking together.
- Spread this across the casserole then place in preheated over for 30-40 minutes or until top turns golden brown. Allow to cool then serve.