This loaded keto potato dip is perfect for those missing the flavor of a baked potato. Featuring ranch dressing, sour cream, bacon and cheese making this perfect for your keto diet!
Would you believe there are no potatoes in this?
Well not after you taste it! You see I like many people after starting the keto diet missed potatoes. Potatoes are a no go for keto but we will discuss that in due time.
The essence of the potato had to be captured through the toppings. Not to mention the white pepper added into the recipe.
Why white pepper? In the past, my grandmother would always add white pepper into her potatoes she made. This in turn associated that flavor with potatoes. I had no idea what white pepper was at one point. Until a recipe I reviewed called for it. Immediately my taste buds said potato. And I knew I had a gem into unlocking that flavor.
Why this loaded keto potato dip is perfect!
- You can’t have potatoes on keto, the carbs in potatoes are too high but something like a baked potato we all miss. Here you can have the best of both worlds. Taste and sticking to the keto diet!
- Bacon!Does it really need anymore of an introduction?
- Ranch dressing allowed on keto, one benefit of ranch dressing is it’s mostly fat. So you don’t have to give up the dressing. Not too much in the recipe, yet it adds to the flavor!
How to make a keto dip:
So it’s super simple! First, allow your cream cheese to come to room temperature. Why fight the cheese?
During this time chop up your chives. I couldn’t find chives pre-chopped, maybe you will be lucky.
The bacon is up to you. I used real bacon bits out of a bag. No artificial bacon for us. You want the real thing. If you’d like you are welcome to cook your own. That fresh bacon sounds tasty! However this is an easy keto dip that will be a extra step in the process.
Now that you have your cream cheese at room temperature. Your chives chopped and bacon ready. You can start making the dip.
Cream together the sour cream and cream cheese. Afterward, add in all your seasonings skipping the bacon, chives and shredded cheese.
After you mix those fold in your bacon, chives and cheese. I wouldn’t whisk this in. Folding is better, otherwise it will get stuck if you are using a mixer or whisk.
By the way be sure to grab some flax crackers. Maybe some Whisps cheese crackers because they are bomb.com with this dip!
Tips and FAQ
Can you eat potatoes on the keto diet?
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but no. Now, there are ways to make a really small one fit your macros. But, I don’t think it will be large enough to really satisfy your appetite.
What vegetable can be used instead of potatoes?
This is a great question because on the keto diet we have options. Radishes! Yes, weird I know but they are the closest in flavor. Never did I say they tasted the same don’t let anyone fool you. But red potatoes and radishes cooked and prepared can have a very similar flavor. I actually have a wonderful radish recipe that was passed down to me. Totally free when you sign up for the newsletter to the site.
- Mild vs sharp cheddar cheese, I went with sharp cheese here for a more pronounced flavor. This is up to you if you’d like to use mild especially if you choose to use the Whisps cheese crackers.
- Bacon bits vs real bacon, this will make the bacon stand out more using fresh bacon. Some of the grease can even let loose throughout the keto potato dip.
- Room temperature cream cheese, the sour cream you can pull straight from the refrigerator. But, I even let that sit for smoother mixing. The cream cheese has to come to room temp or it will be super hard to mix.
Loaded Keto Potato Dip (Low Carb Friendly)
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 2 ounces full fat cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon White pepper
- 1 tablespoon ranch dressing
- 3 tablespoon crumbled bacon
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped chives
- Bring cream cheese to room temperature, sour cream is optional
- chop chives and cook bacon unless you are using real bacon crumbles as I did
- cream sour cream and cream cheese together. Then add in all your seasonings which would be your salt, white pepper and ranch dressing and give a good mix
- Now fold in your bacon crumbles, shredded sharp cheddar and chives