Sugarless Crystals here, and this low carb lemon blueberry cake is a great option for a sugar free cake. Lemons with the sweet taste of blueberries scream springtime desserts like nothing else. A bonus of being sugar free, and keto friendly you can eat this completely guilt free. Indulge in a blueberry flavored sugar icing to top. This low carb lemon blueberry cake is truly to die for.
I didn’t know lemon blueberry was a thing, but thanks to Pinterest I do now.
Last year, around this time I happened to be surfing the web for cheat day ideas. I truly enjoyed cooking my own meals for cheat days. Since, I wouldn’t enjoy eating out as much as I use too, why not cook myself?
Honestly, I thought the taste would be disgusting. But I loved the pictures! The yellow and blue looked beautiful together. If nothing else I wanted the cake off the pictures alone. Funny how that works?
Low Carb Lemon Blueberry Cake
Recently, I just created a coconut flour lemon cupcake recipe. Following behind that I had a few tweaks I thought to make the lemon flavor taste better. Lemon zest was surely one. I’m glad I added it!
Removing the taste of the almond and coconut flour is always my greatest goal. I hate being able to taste the flours, or the egg taste. You don’t get these issues when baking with flour. Unless you add too much. So for the new people to a low carb lifestyle that’s something that could turn them away.
Not only are there amazing health benefits to a low carb lifestyle. But, amazing recipes if you know how to cook them.
Are blueberries keto friendly?
No, not really! As most fruits blueberries are high in sugar. Yes, it is a natural GMO sugar if you wanna call it that. But, it’s a quick way to crank your overall carb count up. Rightfully, they aren’t as sweet as other fruits but the underlying issue still remains.
With that being said this is how I pulled it off…
I created a blueberry swirl from a blueberry jam of sorts. I picked it up from my local Harris Teeter. Blueberry All Fruit is the name and no sugar is added to the jar. I did add a tablespoon of sweetener for sweetness, and to bulk up the consistency a little since we swirled it through the cake.
Secondly, I created a blueberry sugar icing to top the cake. The all fruit was high in carbs of course so only a tablespoon could be used to keep it keto friendly. I personally think it was just the right amount for contrast. But, the icing gives a nice sweetness and blueberry boost to the overall cake. With help of the blueberry extract I found. It may even be my favorite part!
The complexity in this low carb lemon blueberry cake is amazing. I think complex dishes are fun and exciting. One fork full you’ll get lemon, then the next blueberry. To round it off some bites you get both and aren’t quite sure what it is you’re tasting. Better believe it’s good though! Sugar free cake substitutes are fantastic when done right and bursting with flavor. This low carb lemon blueberry cake is a must try!
per slice, a 9in cake pan produces 8 slices
Net carb 3g
Low Carb Lemon Blueberry Cake (Keto, Sugar Free, Gluten Free)
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter (also known as 8 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup granulated sweetener (I used this)
- 1/4 cup Lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Lemon extract (I used this)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour (I used this)
- 2 tablespoons Coconut flour (I used this)
- 1/8 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 lemon lemon zest (zest the skin, don't use actual lemon)
- 1 tablespoon Blueberry all fruit unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon granulated sweetener (I used this)
- Melt butter in a sauce pan and pour in your granualted sweetener. Mix until combined
- Add in your lemon juice and lemon extract. If it's still hot move on to fixing your dry ingredients before you add your eggs. You want it to cool a bit and not be hot
- Add eggs if cool, if not go to next step then come back
- combine dry ingredients. Almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Zest half a lemon in dry ingredients, then mix the powders and zest up with a spoon or whisk
- combine dry and wet, then pour into a 9 inch round cake pan
- in a small pot put in 1 tablespoon of blueberry all fruit and granulated sweetener
- Don't allow to get too hot just enough to melt all fruit down in order to combine with sweetener
- distribute the blueberry swirl throughout your lemon cake evenly. Then give a nice swirl throughout the cake.
- Place in oven at 300 degrees F for 20-35 minutes checking for doneness with a toothpick at the 20 minute mark through the middle
blueberry sugar icing
- You can use swerve or powder your granulated sweetener using a coffee grinder. If grinding your own use exact measurements before grinding not after.
- combine powdered sweetener, heavy cream, and blueberry extract
- pour it across the cake if you'd like or use it on each individual piece. However you choose it's a great addition to the taste of the cake. Highly recommended
Net carbs 3g