This low carb cabbage lasagna is exactly what mom used to make. Gluten-free and keto friendly it swaps out noodles for cabbage in this low carb italian dish!
For this particular recipe I lent the help of the mother over here at Sugarless Crystals!
Previously in my younger days lasagna was quite tasty to me. I believe it was due to the ricotta cheese.
I’m not sure if it were the texture or the flavor but it remained rather exciting to eat. Pouring loads of Texas Pete hot sauce on the lasagna to add extra spice to it.
Those were the days!
Low Carb Cabbage Lasagna
Can we be honest here?
As you can see it isn’t a rather attractive dish. And I had the nerve to complain about my birthday cake cupcakes!
Here you have two options with the cabbage.
You can boil the cabbage about 10 minutes to soften them. Or you can just add them raw and allow them to soften while cooking.
Preferably I believe option two is the way to go if you want more texture. A little crunch from the cabbage could have added more complexity to the dish.
I believed this while my mother was preparing the dish. But this was her recipe and if any of you have children you already know. You don’t listen to your kids!
Cabbage lasagna is very new to me. Thanks to a subscriber on YouTube I got a chance to test it out. I am interested to see how people will play with this low carb italian dish.
It’s a super easy recipe and absolutely customizable. Some days my mom would even toss in a little sausage or switch up the sauces.
As said earlier, texture can be better if there is a little crisp left to the cabbage. If memory serves me the noodle did provide a little pull if not boiled to death.
Allow the cabbage lasagna to set up a bit after cooking so it can be a little sexier than the pictures above!
Full nutritional label below via Cronometer. Servings are hard to measure due to the dish. But, in a 9 by 9 baking dish I assume 9 serving is reasonable. So, the facts are based around that to be helpful.
Low Carb Cabbage Lasagna (Keto, Gluten-Free)
- 1.5 pound ground beef (85/15)
- 1 head cabbage
- 10 oz sugar free tomato sauce (I used garden style)
- 8 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- 8 ounce shredded mozzarella
- In this recipe I used a 9x9 baking dish. So if you have a larger family adjust accordingly
- brown ground beef and season with salt and pepper
- While the brown beef is cooking if you want you cabbage softer boil for 5-10 minutes until desired tenderness. If you want more of a bite leave cabbage raw
- After brown beef and/or cabbage is ready begin to layer inside baking dish
- cabbage, ground beef, ricotta cheese and mozzarella. I was able to do 3 layers
- bake in oven at 375ºF for about 20 minutes if you boiled your cabbage. If you left them raw cook until desired tenderness is reach. 35-40 minutes should be ample time at that temperature.
- Allow cabbage lasagna to set. As it cools over time the lasagna should form more fully.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF