These keto wings which you can bake in the oven or have fried are perfect either way. Topped with a sugar free barbecue sauce sweetened with stevia.
Chicken wings and keto go hand to hand. Eating out on keto can be difficult when you first start. But the majority of America loves chicken wings and you can continue to do so.
They have entire restaurants specializing in chicken wings so that should tell you something.
Can I eat chicken wings on a keto diet?
Yes, you can but there are a few things to be mindful of. The vegetable oil they use and sugar added into the sauces. A great option is Buffalo Wild Wings they have sugar free sauces and they fry their oil in beef tallow.
If making keto wings at home you should aim not to flour them. Buffalo Wild Wings doesn’t flour their bone in wings and neither does Wingstop. The chicken skin will still get crispy so no worries there.
A few vegetable oils to avoid on keto:
- Vegetable oil
- Canola oil
- Soybean oil
- Peanut oil (heated)
Which vegetable oils are the healthiest:
- Authentic Olive oil (most are washed out)
- Coconut oil
- Avocado oil
- Beef tallow
Those are the main oils to avoid and if using the healthy oils be mindful of smoking points. Also cold pressed only!
How to make fried keto wings:
The best oils to fry your wings in are beef tallow and lard. Lard has a smoking point of 370 degrees F so using a fryer that can keep the temperature below 350 on the safe side. Beef tallow has a smoking point of 400 degrees F which is higher so 350-375 is great.
Make sure your keto wings are patted dry and that you don’t flour them. Chicken skin will crisp just fine without flour. Yes, flouring makes them even crispier but accompanies many carbs as well.
Keto wings are done rather fast frying. One of the easiest ways to tell the fried wings are done is by clear juices running from the chicken, not red.
How to make baked keto wings:
Baking is a different process in order to get the skin super crispy. You want to really pat dry your wings in this scenario. Not to mention what you bake on is a factor as well.
A pan with a rack is your best option. That way the baked chicken wings are suspended so that the fat drips down and the heat can crisp up each side of the chicken.
Comparatively, in a sheet pan the tops will crisp. But the bottom will remain in the chicken fat taking away the crispiness from the opposite side. To add, when tossed into the sauce the juices will come with it making the skin softer.
A great way to bake keto wings is on a high setting. About 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes. They aren’t thick like legs or thighs so as the inside will be done in a short amount of time. And the high temperature gets the skin nice and crispy in the process.
The same thing goes for telling when the baked chicken wings are done. Clear juices over red.
What do you dip wings in?
My go to dipping sauce are from Primal Kitchen! They are more expensive but I don’t eat wings on a regular basis. What I love is no vegetable oils. They do taste different but like most healthy items I have gotten use to them. I highly recommend them just for better a overall healthier choice.
Keto Wings Baked or Fried BBQ Style
- 1 cup tomato puree (sugar free)
- 2 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon course black pepper (half if finely ground)
- 2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Liquid stevia
- 1-2 teaspoon blackstrap molasses (optional)
- On a stop top on low to medium heat, heat tomato puree just a little. Not so much to the point it is smoking.
- Toss in all liquid ingredients which are the apple cider vinegar, stevia, liquid smoke and lemon juice. The optional blackstrap molasses is for sweetness but isn't needed if avoiding carbs.
- Add in all seasonings and continue to mix
- Sauce is thinner than typical barbeque sauce due to the lack of gums, corn starch and sugar. Adding in 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan or guar gum can help with this but mix it with a hand mixer. Also add it in a bowl with all the seasonings that way it can be mixed around otherwise it will clump up.
- sauce will be thin but I offered a tip for adding a gum to thicken if you'd like. The sauce isn't so thin that it won't stick as you can see in the above pictures.
- Instructions on how to cook the keto wings two different ways can be found in the blog post. I enlarged the sections so that they are easy to find if you want to bake or fry.