Red velvet keto cake in a mug is great when craving something sweet. A single serving keto mug cake that’s low carb and gluten-free!
Can you have a keto cake in a mug that taste like a slow cooked cake fresh out of the oven?
Not really, but you can come darn close. Yet, I did it with this keto mug cake using coconut flour and making it red velvet.
The cream cheese frosting is just a bonus not to mention the walnuts high in omega-3. But those are fillers let’s talk about the nitty-gritty.
I am so serious when it comes to a red velvet cake. Making this keto cake in a mug not only did I have to bring it in consistency but the flavor had to be the best.
In my red velvet cookies I used cocoa butter wafers which everyone may not have on hand so I swapped them out with straight butter. A small hint of cocoa powder is needed, just a bit. People always screw that part up. Too much and you have a chocolate keto mug cake too little and what’s the point?
My grandmother use to always top her red velvet cake with walnuts. So, I snatched the idea and brought it in here. The sugar-free cream cheese frosting is optional but not something I’d skip over. It brings the tangy flavor with an added texture change to the overall cake.
How to make a keto cake in a mug:
Easy, quick and simple are the words that describe making this cake. Below are all the ingredients you will need.
- Coconut flour
- Cocoa powder
- Granulated and powdered sweetener
- baking powder
- Buttermilk powder (optional)
- Vanilla extract
- Red food coloring (optional)
Seems like too many ingredients? I bet most of this stuff is lying around the house. Or sitting in your refrigerator.
First, melt your butter. Don’t melt it scorching hot to wear your egg cooks before you put your keto cake in mug together.
Second, while butter is cooling mix dry ingredients together. Coconut flour, salt, cocoa powder, granulated sweetener and baking powder.
Third, grab your cooled butter at this point and add in heavy cream, liquid stevia, vanilla extract and food coloring if you want your keto mug cake to have a red color. Which isn’t needed at all for flavor.
Combine the dry and wet. Here you have the option to toss in your walnuts. I prefer them after the mug cake is finished. I have been reading Deep Nutrition and I have my reasons why.
Place in microwave for 60-90 seconds. Make sure the top looks done. You don’t want your middle wet with this keto cake in a mug. The allow it to cool and while cooling mix your sugar-free cream cheese frosting.
How to make sugar-free cream cheese frosting:
The frosting is optional but highly recommended for a real red velvet cake feel.
Bring cream cheese to room temperature so it’s good to have it taken out before you actually make the cake. Combine cream cheese, sour cream and powdered sweetener. Liquid stevia can be used over the powdered sweetener but I think powdered leaves a better flavor overall for such a small batch.
Macros below will include half the frosting since there was a minimum of cream cheese I used. You can split it in half for another time. Double it up on the keto cake in a mug for a nice fat bomb recipe. Or make more of the recipe and stash some to the side for another day.
- Coconut flour can be dry. Skipping ingredients here can change all this for the worst. I added these ingredients to insure with proper cooking this mug cake is very moist.
- Granulated vs powdered, you can swap them out they won’t matter much here. But, in the frosting powdered is recommended.
Red Velvet Mug Cake
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1.5 tablespoon keto sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon buttermilk powder (optional)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 drops red food coloring
Cream Cheese Topping
- 1/2 ounce full fat cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon keto sweetener
- Combine coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, sweetener and optional buttermilk powder into a mug or bowl
- then add egg, vanilla extract then mix it all together. Next put in your sour cream here. Finish mixing then add red food coloring 3 drops at a time until you reach desired color
- Microwave for 1.5-2 minutes
- Bring cream cheese to room temp. You can droo te package in warm water for 5 minutes that'll do the trick. Then mix all ingredients together until smooth.
- Coconut flour can be dry. Skipping ingredients here can change all this for the worst. I added these ingredients to insure with proper cooking this keto mug cake is very moist.
- Granulated vs powdered, you can swap them out they won't matter much here. But, in the frosting powdered is recommended.