A summertime keto coleslaw recipe that is great for summer bbq or picnics. This low carb, paleo friendly naturally sweetened coleslaw recipe will be delicious to anyone and they won’t be able to tell it’s sugar free. At only 2g net carbs, healthy keto recipes for the summer just got better!
Having coleslaw next to some of my favorite summer meals such as bbq or even having it by itself was something I thought I’d miss. But, luckily I was able to recreate a keto coleslaw recipe that fit perfectly with my healthy diet without all the added sugar. Yet, I was even luckier not to have to make the cabbage and carrots and shred them myself. Keep life simple and buy a pre-mix and all you have to make is the keto coleslaw dressing.
Is Coleslaw Keto
No, the coleslaw out of the store or from your favorite restaurant is loaded with sugar. We take healthy cabbage and carrots and pack it with sugar, so American of us. Yet, now with this recipe the dressing isn’t packed with sugar and I show how to replace that sweet flavor we love.
Keto Coleslaw Dressing
In a simple 5 ingredients you can have yourself a delicious coleslaw dressing. Mayonnaise is the base but you’ll need a bit of acid to breakdown the cabbage that gives that underlying tang under the sweetness. The dressing is everything because other than that it’s just green cabbage, red cabbage and shredded carrots. Ingredients needed:
- White Vinegar
- Lemon Juice
- Salt & Pepper
- Granulated Sweetener
Make Coleslaw Ahead
It’s your luck this is a recipe that must be made ahead of time. Now, you can eat it after you make it but it’s better when it sits in the refrigerator for a few hours to overnight. So, you can make this on Friday night for the planned bbq on Saturday afternoon.
How To Make Keto Coleslaw
To start, either you have to shred green cabbage, red cabbage and carrots or buy a store bought package that is already shredded. I made life easy and used a 14 ounce package so if you have much less or much more than that make adjustments to the recipe.
In a salad bowl add mayo into the shredded coleslaw. Mix this around. Then, sprinkle salt and pepper.
Now, pour in lemon juice, vinegar and sprinkle sweetener over cabbage. Give the entire bowl a very good mix. Taste for any adjustments you’d like to make. Serve then or cover and place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours. The longer it sits the better.
The recipe should last 3-4 days maximum before the cabbage starts to go bad.
Summer Recipes You’ll Love
Keto Coleslaw Recipe
- 14 ounces shredded coleslaw mix (or shred green cabbage, red cabbage and carrots)
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoon granulated sweetener
- 2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Buy a cabbage mix or shred your own. The cabbage mix I used was 14 ounces so if you are using much less or more than that you will need to adjust the ingredients to taste. I used Fresh Express 3 color deli claw with just the veggies in it.
- Add mayo and sweetener then mix around
- Next, pour lemon juice, white vinegar then sprinkle in salt and pepper
- Cover and refridgerate for a miminum of 2 hours or serve immedietly. I suggest you make ahead so the flavors and work in together.