Broccoli salad with bacon is an amazing recipe sure to please during summer months at a party or potluck. Creamy homemade dressing in a delicious recipe.
Would you say broccoli is bad for you?
I don’t think anyone would argue and say broccoli isn’t an amazing cruciferous vegetable that is great to eat. But, some people will say they don’t like it. They need more veggies and can’t figure out how to bring them into their diet.
Bringing in this broccoli salad with bacon can change and even amaze the most stubborn tastebuds.
Seasoning and flavoring is the key and why we are so amazed by chefs in the first place.
Broccoli is bland and boring by itself. However, toss in a tasty dressing next to bacon, dried cranberries, cheese and a little onion you have some loaded with flavors.
I am not against the mayonnaise used in classic broccoli salad recipes. I personally do not like a ton of refined sugar either. In this broccoli salad with bacon recipe I whipped together a creamy dressing using avocado that’s loaded with healthy fats.
Instead of apple cider vinegar I replaced with a full bodied balsamic for a touch of acidity with a natural sweetness.
Of course, there is much more but keep reading ad I’ll show you how to put it all together.
How To Make A Broccoli Salad With Bacon
You’ll need these ingredients
- Shredded Cheese
- Sunflower Seeds
- Dried Cranberries
- Red Onion
- Non-fat Greek Yougurt
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt & Black Pepper
Helpful tips to avoid mistakes
- Chop bacon into larger chunks. Avoid mincing the bacon into crumble.
- Always salt and black pepper to taste.
- Chop broccoli up into smaller crown. You don’t want people having to bite into a huge piece of broccoli. You want small enough chunks where other ingredients are always present. Yet, big enough that each bite has a little broccoli in there. After all, it is the star of the show.
Making the broccoli salad with bacon recipe
- To start, the night before if possible make the broccoli salad dressing. This will give the dressing time to form it’s flavor. Slice open a rip avocado and add into some non-fat greek yogurt. You can use a blender or emulsion blender to combine the two and make it super smooth. Now season with honey, balsamic vinegar, lime juice and lime zest and finally add salt to taste. But, I did provide a starter measurement. Blend all ingredients until smooth. Cover then sit in the fridge overnight.
- In a large pot boil some water then remove it from the heat. While water is heating chop up broccoli from the crown. Now, blanch the broccoli in the water for about 3-5 minutes. You want to soften the broccoli a little bit. This helps with chewing but you do not want the broccoli soggy.
- Remove broccoli from water and place on paper towel to drain. I recommend watching the broccoli because it is very easy to get distracted and leave the broccoli in for too long.
- While broccoli is draining chop the onion, make then chop the bacon as well.
- Next, in a salad bowl add in all the ingredients except the dressing. Give everything a toss together then top off with the dressing and mix everything evenly.
- At this point you can serve immediately or cover and serve later. The reasoning for making the broccoli salad dressing ahead of time was for those flavors to work together. The broccoli salad with bacon itself will only compliment the dressing. The dressing will not soak inside the broccoli or any other ingredients except the onion possibly.
Storing the leftovers from the recipe
You’ll notice the next day when you make the broccoli salad dressing there is a little water separation. But, when you give it a stir everything is fine and back together.
Expect the same thing when you add the dressing to the broccoli salad with bacon. Stirring with be a little more difficult but everything will come back together. I would not freeze this salad but it should keep in the refrigerator 2-3 days max.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Should broccoli be blanched for salad?
This is a super common question and I am in a firm believer yes. Of course, as humans our jaws can crunch down on the broccoli but as a chef I believe in the overall experience. I do not want peoples jaws hurt or tired after from a broccoli salad with bacon recipe I served. If you prefer raw then this isn’t an issue for you.
How long will broccoli salad stay good?
This is a whole food recipe with no preservatives. That means you don’t have long. The honey in the dressing helps because honey is a natural preservative. But, everything else is going to start going bad in a matter of 3 days.
Can you freeze broccoli salad?
I have never done this and I can’t see why you would need to. Most situations the majority if not all of this salad will be eaten.
What to serve with broccoli salad?
This depends because broccoli salad is typically served as a light meal, appetizer or at a potluck where there are several different options around.
- Chicken Wings
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup non-fat greek yogurt
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 6 strips bacon, chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup sharp shredded cheese
- salt & black pepper to taste
- The night before serving make the dressing.
- Add an avocado to non fat greek yogurt and blend until smooth
- Add in balsamic vinegar, honey, lime juice, lime zest then add salt to taste.
- Cover then leave in the refrigerator over night
- Add all ingredients into a salad bowl and give them a toss.
- Give dressing a stir then add over salad. Mix everything together evenly as possible.
- Lastly, gradually add a little black pepper to taste until you think it's perfect. Start with 1/2 tsp.