Skillet chicken with mushrooms and caramelized onions is a great and easy to make date night or small family meal.
Remember the fancy meals that seem so difficult to make but are really simple?
Skillet chicken with mushrooms and caramelized onions is a perfect example of that. It seems and looks like a five star dish that is fun to prepare and delicious to eat.
Bring out the best flavors in everything with the caramelized onions and mushrooms recipe I created. You can even turn it up a notch with a creamy sauce with marsala wine.
Below, I am going to show you just how simple making this recipe is with all my tips and tricks so keep reading.
How To Make Skillet Chicken With Mushrooms And Caramelized Onions
You’ll need these ingredients…
- Boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Mushrooms of choice
- Yellow or sweet onion
- Oil for cooking
- Fresh herbs (i.e thyme, rosemary)
Avoid these mistakes, helpful recipe tips
- Oil is your friend, not butter. Do not make the mistake and start with butter with something at such a high heat.
- Do not use a non-stick pan. I understand they are popular but when it comes to caramelization it’s the worst thing you could use. Some ingredients need to stick to create flavor
- The best onion will be an onion with an higher sugar content. Avoid white, pearl onions because they will not caramelize as well.
- My favorite mushrooms for this recipe are shitake or baby bella mushrooms. They have a overall better flavor and keep a nice texture to them. To add, make sure your chicken breast cutlets are thinly sliced.
Now, making the recipe…
- First, prep all of your ingredients. A skillet chicken with mushrooms and caramelized onions recipe moves fast. Salt and pepper for the chicken.
- In a skillet on medium high heat add a little oil then lay seasoned chicken breast into the pan. Do not crowd the pan. Cook chicken in batches if needed.
- A quick tip, after chicken is finished placing it in a warm oven will help keep it hot.
- Cook chicken until it reaches a interval temp of 165 degrees F*. Remove the chicken from the pan and toss in chopped mushrooms.
- Continue to cook the mushrooms until they begin to sweat. There is a video included to help.
- When they are sweating add in sliced onions and a little oil. Season with salt and pepper then continue to cook at the same medium high heat while mixing the ingredients around in the pan.
- Now, once you notice sticking lower the heat to medium. Continue to mix allowing the ingredients to stick then you move them around. This allows for even caramelizing because if you don’t move the ingredients they will start to burn.
- When the mushrooms and onions have caramelized, Add chopped herbs and butter. Mix round for a minute or two then remove from from the heat.
- Lastly, plate the chicken nd top off with caramelized onions and mushrooms.
This is how to store the recipe
Making skillet chicken with mushrooms and caramelized onions it stores very well. You can heat the recipe up in the microwave or place back in the skillet with a little oil and bring it up to temp.
Store in the refrigerator in an air tight container for about 3 days. You can also freeze the recipe as well and save for later in the week.
What to serve with skillet chicken with mushrooms and caramelized onions
Skillet Chicken With Mushrooms And Caramelized Onions
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast (thin cutlets)
- 8 ounce mushroom
- 1 medium onion (yellow or sweet onion)
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon butter
- oil for cooking
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and prep onion, herbs and mushroom
- In a skillet on medium high heat add about 1 TB of oil, lay chicken in pan and do not crowd chicken. Cook in batches if needed.
- Cook chicken to an internal temp of 165°F which is fully cooked, remove from pan then toss in chopped mushrooms
- Continue to cook and stir mushrooms until they begin to sweat as shown in video. When that happens add in the sliced onions then salt and pepper.
- Continue to cook and stir until the mushrooms and onions start to stick to the pan then lower the heat to medium. Continue mixing around, allowing the ingredients to stick a little then mix them around again.
- When everything is caramelized after about 10 minutes add in butter and herbs. Mix around about 2 minutes allowing the butter to melt into the dish evenly and herbs become fragrant.
- Remove from heat, place the chicken on a plate then top with mushrooms and onions. Serve.