Salmon cakes are just what grandma use to make! These are grain free, low carb and keto friendly. So eat away with no guilt involved.
Salmon cakes I have always known about. It’s the low carb shrimp cakes that came new to me. They were far more work. I don’t mind a more difficult recipe for the flavor, but I don’t always feel like it. To add, what makes these great is no chopping if you use wild caught salmon straight out of the can.
A few things my grandmother use to make while I was growing up was corn bread, banana pudding, devil’s food cake and salmon cakes. In honesty, it’s the one recipe my mother could perfectly duplicate of hers.
I would soak them down in hot sauce. Maybe too much hot sauce really. But, they were so good! They had a cripiness that I remember as fresh as tasting these.
Low Carb Salmon Cakes
After these, walnut salmon is dead for me. Life is about progression I don’t digress here. So, let us adapt and move on to something far bigger and better!
Wild caught salmon is a must over farm raised. I didn’t know until I actually looked for it but wild caught comes in the can as well. The only thing is I think they toss the entire salmon in there. Better yet I know because there were so many hidden bones in the can I couldn’t deal.
Grandma didn’t tell me that!
A small price to pay for not having to cook the salmon first. See to buy it fresh is always a great idea. Yet, you have to cook the salmon down first then shred it. The canned just allows you to save on the double cooking step.
I added a little cayenne pepper for a hint of spiciness at the end. You don’t feel it while eating the salmon but give it minute. After a few chews with you swallowing that tongue will begin to tingle.
If you’re looking for a tasty way to get more fish into your diet here it is. It’s said we should have fish weekly and salmon is one of the most nutrition filled choices. A great blend of spices to provide a little heat and herbs to bring them down. I like shrimp but I like them better individually. Yet, I have always loved salmon. With my very own low carb salmon cakes I have another recipe in the books!
per cake, makes 10
Net carb .5g
Low Carb Salmon Cakes (Keto, Grain Free)
- 1 can wild caught salmon (or if using fresh 1lb of wild caught salmon)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper (or fine ground is fine just use 1/4 tsp instead)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 4 oz finely shreeded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 large beaten egg
- 3 tablespoon almond flour
- 1 tablespoon whey protein isolate
- 1/4 teaspoon Xanthan gum
- with canned salmon pop open the can and remove the small bones out of the salmon first
- shred salmon with for or seperate with spoon. Then add all spices, mayo and egg then mix
- After mixing combine almond flour, whey protein isolate and xanthan gum together. Then sprinkle over salmon and mix with spoon or hand
- In heaping tablespoons roll salmon into a ball then flatten and cook on medium to high heat with a little olive oil or oil of choice in pan. Just watch heat levels not to reach the oils smoking point
- If using fresh salmon wrap up in foil and cook in oven at 350ºF for about 20 minutes. You want the salmon tender enough to be able to shred it easily
- After salmon is done allow it to cool down and then follow all the steps above.