Having southern style keto banana pudding is an option when following a low carb, sugar free diet. To add, what if I told you I had vanilla wafers in every bite? That’s exactly what you get in this simple and easy dessert recipe that will carb all your cravings of bananas!
On keto, bananas are not apart of the food list. But, you can still use things such as extracts to achieve that banana flavor. And to be honest the flavoring is what we know best from coming from a life of processed foods.
How To Make Keto Banana Pudding
This isn’t an instant pudding recipe, you do have to add some heat to it. That doesn’t mean it’s difficult at all. I break it down to make the keto banana pudding recipe as easy as possible. Finish it off with whipped eggs whites for a more authentic feel or a keto whipped cream to keep it simple! You don’t have to buy keto cookies you can make vanilla wafers at home and crumble them yourself.
How To Make Instructions
To start, you want to bloom the gelatin. This will allow the keto banana pudding to have a thicker texture and remain creamy. In 1/4 cup of heavy cream, pour gelatin powder in and give it a slight mix. Just one or two circles is enough. Then, set it to the side and let it do its thing.
Next, in a saucepan add heavy cream on medium/low heat. Then, add in banana extract and your keto sweetener. Because you are heating it, it doesn’t matter if you have powdered or granulated on hand. Now, do not allow the heavy cream to boil. It can steam but if you see one bubble quickly pull it from the heat. This recipe takes less than 5 minutes on the stove top.
The next step you want to grab that bloomed gelatin and add it into the heated heavy cream. You can remove it from the heat if it’s steaming. That will tell you it is hot enough to allow the gelatin to melt down. The heat is simple for the gelatin and the sweetener.
Lastly, once everything is smooth, pour the keto pudding into a bowl. If you have a strainer now would be a great time to use it to catch any of the gelatin that wanted to be stubborn.
A trick that prevents skin from the top of the pudding is to place plastic wrap in the bowl on top of the pudding surface. Now, place the bowl in the refrigerator for an hour or two for the pudding to set. Remove the bowl and plastic and give it a stir. The stir will create that perfect pudding texture and taste we all know and love!
Helpful Recipe Tips
- Heat is the enemy here, I say don’t allow the heavy cream to get too hot because the proteins and fat will separate and curdle. Doesn’t look or feel appealing.
- Liquid or granulated sweetener, I mentioned granulated or powdered doesn’t matter because you are melting it down. This isn’t a recipe you want to use a liquid sweetener in. Something like stevia would have a horrible aftertaste with it.
- Egg white topping or whipped cream, I have seen both in my days. Having eaten both I say it is personal preference because how it is done determines which stands out the best. I don’t like having to separate egg yolks from white personally. To add the whipped cream has a sweeter aspect. In the recipe below I tell you the measurements and how to achieve the stiff egg white peaks.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What Puddings Can You Eat On Keto
There are sugar free puddings sold in the store but they are sweetened with Maltitol. If you don’t know what that is in short you’re better off eating the sugar version. If you’re familiar with the glycemic index which is a chart that gives you a value of how a particular food effects your blood glucose levels. Maltitol is higher than sugar which will kick your booty out of ketosis in a heart beat. Especially if just starting out.
Are Vanilla Wafers Keto Friendly
Now, HighKey snacks has vanilla wafers that are perfect for this recipe. I also have a version that are easy to make at home for a keto vanilla wafer. At 3g net carbs per serving they are perfect for this recipe!
Are Bananas Keto
No! In one medium size banana per the USDA is 24g net carbs. Now, if you wanted to use a banana to spread out in the recipe you could but I’d be against it. Bananas are a good source of potassium but there are far better options such as grass fed beef. For what you’d be looking for in that bursting of banana flavor a itty bitty piece of banana will only leave you looking for more sugar.
Keto Banana Pudding
- 2 cup Heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon banana extract ()
- 1/4 cup graulated or powdered sweetener ()
- 1/2 teaspoon gelatin powder
Egg Whites (optional)
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoon powdered sweetener
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Pour 1/4 cup of heavy cream into a bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin across and give it a slight mix to wet the powder that sat on top. Set this to the side.
- Now pour 1 3/4 cup heavy cream in a small pot on medium/low heat. Add in banana extract and sweetener. Allow the heavy cream to steam but do not let it boil. If it starts to boil simply remove it from the heat.
- After the heavy cream begins to steam toss in the bloomed gelatin you sat to the side. Continue to stir to break down the gelatin.
- Once free of lumps remove from heat and pour through a strainer into a bowl. The strainer will catch any stubborn gelatin that didn't melt.
- Cover with bowl plastic wrap, allow the plastic to touch the top of the pudding to prevent any skin to form. You can place it straight in the refrigerator hot. Allow it to sit in the refrigerator to set for an hour or two.
- When you remove it, remove the plastic then give it a stir to get that true pudding feel.
Egg Whites (optional)
- In the south we beat the egg whites until peaks form. Then place in the oven and you get that browned top you see in the photos. In order to do this proceed to the next step
- In the bowl of egg whites add 2 TB of powdered sweetener. Using a hand mixer turn on high speed and start beating.
- While beating sprinkle in 1/2 tsp cream of tartar. This helps with the egg white forming and keeping its shape.
- After beating you can whip it across your banana pudding and cookies and place in the oven on broil until the top browns. Keep a close eye because it takes no more than 2-3 minutes for this to happen depending on how hot your broil is.