Healthy apple muffins for those that are keto friendly and love clean eating. No sugar involved with a gluten free almond flour base. Only 2g net carbs!
Apples are not keto friendly!
Now, that I have said that. There are numerous ways I have seen people recreate the lovable fruit within their desserts. Jicama, chayote and zucchini have all been used in place.
Yet, in this particular application that won’t work too well. My healthy apple muffins have a apple flavor without a doubt and it’s quite subtle. Devising a plan to recreate it in a dessert was quite the journey.
What you will experience is biting into these almond flour muffins with a apple crumb topping is something special. The base consist of apple pie spice with walnut. The apple crumb topping is cinnamon with apple flavoring. Simply, yet the illusion the separation of these flavors is amazing.
Keto friendly apple crumb topping:
Here is where you will get you flavor of apple. I went with a double apple concentrate. Forewarning, this is concentrate meaning a little goes a long way. The recipe says 10 drops, please be careful not to just squirt the concentrate into the dish. When people complain about a chemical flavor or even the bitter taste in stevia, you’re using too much.
There are a few different good brands of flavors out there for keto desserts. The one I used is here and another brand I can stand by is One on One Flavors. Maybe you will recognize that particular brand from my keto birthday cake recipe.
In making the crumble you need cold butter. What the cold butter does is cling the blanched almond flour to it. You then freeze it in the middle of you making the healthy apple muffins. This will make the butter harder which in turn will make it crumble from the almond flour.
How to make healthy apple muffins easily
The hardest part is easily the top crumble. You can whip the almond flour muffins together in 5 minutes.
First, melt you butter. If you decide to use salted butter just be mindful the overall salt level will increase and you may want to adjust. Allow that to cool while you get other ingredients ready.
Mix almond flour, coconut flour, apple pie spice, granulated sweetener and salt. See? Simple!
Grab the cooled butter and add in liquid sweetener of choice, eggs and vanilla extract. Combine your dry and wet ingredients, then fold in chopped walnuts. Next, in muffin tins spoon the batter in leaving room at the top for apple crumble.
Lastly, remove crumble from freezer and break apart placing pieces on each muffin. Place in oven and enjoy the essence of apple throughout your home.
Helpful Recipe Tips
Do not add extra concentrate
Leave concentrate in the apple crumble
If using walnuts only put them in the muffin portion
To swap out butter you can use coconut oil hence it being a semi solid as well
per muffin, recipe makes 6
Net carb 3g
Healthy Apple Muffins That Are Keto Friendly
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 TB Coconut flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sweetener
- 1/2 TB apple pie spice
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 4 TB Unsalted Butter
- 1 TB heavy cream
- 1.5 tsp liquid stevia or liquid monk fruit
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 large Eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
apple crumble top
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 TB cold butter
- 10 drops double apple concentrate
Apple crumble top
- Starting with the crumble. Mix almond flour and cinnamon together.
- Cut 2 TB of cold butter and place on top of mix. Now on top of butter drop the concentrate down. Butter or concentrate can be added in any order after step 1
- Now with a masher or with a hand mash everything together evenly as possible. Then place in freezer while preparing muffins
- Preheat oven to 330ºF. If you don't have that setting go down to 300ºF
- Melt butter then let it cool
- Mix almond flour, coconut flour, granulated sweetener, apple pie spice, baking powder and salt
- Separately combine melted butter, heavy cream, liquid stevia or liquid monk fruit, vanilla extract and 2 eggs
- Combine dry and wet ingredients then fold in chopped walnuts
- Remove crumble from freezer. Butter will be harder and easier to break apart in small crumbles. Break it apart and add crumble pieces across the muffins. There should be 8 average size muffins
- Place in muffin cups and place in oven for 20-30 minutes
- Do not add extra concentrate. Too much concentrate will taste like a checmical. Concentrate is designed for small doses. 10 drops is more than enough. You may not even smell it until you start to bake.
- Keep the concentrate at the top in the crumble area. You don't want it spread throughout the muffin.
- The walnuts go at the bottom not the crumble. If you swap or add more you will change the effect that they give inside of the muffin. You may leave them out but they are place inside the muffin for a reason.