A delicious broccoli and cauliflower casserole dish with bacon and is ultra cheesy. A creamy cheese sauce smoothers the fresh tasting broccoli and cauliflower florets in a casserole dish perfect for potlucks and holidays. It’s not only tasty but perfect for anyone on the keto diet as well!
During the holidays casserole dishes are a must. Not only they easy to prepare but the combinations are amazing. This broccoli and cauliflower casserole is no different. Rich in flavor with a delicious cheese based cream sauce it brings out the natural flavors of each vegetable. Being keto friendly as well you don’t have to go against your natural desire to indulge in savory casserole dishes.
How To Make Broccoli And Cauliflower Casserole
To start, you want to steam the broccoli and cauliflower separately. The vegetables have different densities so you can’t steam them together. If you do the broccoli will be far too overcooked before the cauliflower softens.
To add, I noticed in doing this method it greatly reduced the water that typically leaks out during the cook. This keeps the sauce creamy without the use of flour.
Now, in making the cheese sauce you want to sauté the diced onions and minced garlic first. First, cook the onion until softened to give them that natural flavor then add in and brown the minced garlic.
Next, add butter into the recipe. After butter has cooked into onion and garlic add heavy cream and cream cheese. Melt these down into a thick sauce.
Then, thin the sauce with the addition of stock or broth. Any will do. Next, add in lemon juice, mayo and season with salt and pepper to taste. The final result should be a smooth and creamy sauce.
In the next step, load steamed broccoli and cauliflower into the casserole dish. Be sure to keep excess water out. Two cups is a rough guess but I prefer to eye ball and make sure the broccoli and cauliflower are even in the dish.
Slowly pour the cheese sauce on top and spread it evenly between everything. On top, I shredded my own colby jack cheese and piled it on top of the casserole. This is a part where I say break the rules of the recipe and add any extra cheese you’d like.
Bake for 20-30 minutes in a preheated oven or until cheese browns on top. Allow to cool a bit then serve!
How To Store
This casserole dish does well in the freezer or the refrigerator. Since we are using fresh veggies it will last about 3 days in the refrigerator. Now when freezing it could last months if you can hold off from eating it that long.
- Breadcrumb Topping
- Crispy French Onions
This recipe is perfect for anyone on keto. I primarily eat the keto diet year round so I wanted a casserole dish that didn’t need flour to stay thick. You can eat this with no worries and you don’t have to tell your family this is a “healthy” casserole. They’ll love it and the whole time they enjoyed a keto friendly, low carb dish!
Casserole Dishes You’ll Love
Broccoli And Cauliflower Casserole
- 2 cup broccoli florets ()
- 2 cup cauliflower florets ()
- 1/2 diced yellow onion
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounce full fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup stock or broth (I used chicken stock but any is fine)
- 1 tablespoon mayo
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 slices chopped bacon
- 1/2 cup shredded colby jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Cut florets from broccoli stalk and cut up cauliflower as well. Next steam the broccoli and cauliflower seperatly. Steam them until they are semi soft. They should still have a crunch when you pull them off. Set them to the side.
- Chop and cook bacon, then set aside.
- In a pot saute the onions in a little oil. When they have softened toss in butter and minced garlic and cook until fragrant. Next pour in heavy cream and add in cream cheese. Heat should be medium. Do not let the sauce come to a boil. If it begins to simmer reduce the heat, it should only steam or a little simmer while preparing.
- Stir the heavy cream and cream cheese until cream cheese melts down smoothly. Once smooth and melted add in stock, mayo and lemon juice. Stir everything in smoothly. Now salt and pepper the sauce to taste.
- In the casserole dish lay out broccoli and cauliflower and make sure it's even across and pieces aren't too large. Pour cream sauce over then mix everything together. Sprinkle bacon across and then cover with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes checking for browning of the cheese. Remove, allow to cool then serve.
- ***Note*** the garnishing you see is only parprika. It does nothing for flavor. I sepreated the casserole into 9 serving because I used a square dish.
Helpful Recipe Tips
- Although the measurements say 2 cups of broccoli and cauliflower I recommend to eyeball it as well. Don't overcrowd the casserole dish but there should be an even amount. In creating the recipe this is how I did it and it measured out to 2 cups each. But, the florets of both do range in side.
- Use small florets. Even the bit ones chop them down to a smaller size. You don't have to chop them but you want the smaller pieces when it comes to serving.
- Salt and pepper to taste. This is important. I didn't include measurements because there are different factors and we have different taste buds.
How To StoreThis casserole dish does well in the freezer or the refrigerator. Since we are using fresh veggies it will last about 3 days in the refrigerator. Now when freezing it could last months if you can hold off from eating it that long.
- Breadcrumb Topping
- Crispy French Onions
2 thoughts on “Broccoli And Cauliflower Casserole”
Hi, can I use frozen florets for both? I just stumbled upon you on IG and am loving your recipes!! Simple!!! Thank you!!
You can but make sure to get rid of all that excess water before baking. And thank you, I really appreciate you giving me an opportunity.