Skillet Cabbage and Sausage Recipe
Cabbage and sausage are the perfect match for the skillet. Using a keto sausage this recipe can be made in no time with a few simple ingredients. Buttery cabbage with the spice of sausage!
- 1/2 head cabbage
- 1/2 shallot
- 1/8 piece Penderson's sausage (or sausage link of choice)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (or regular paprika)
start by cutting cabbage up discarding the hard core. Steam the cabbage to release most of the water or you could not but keep in mind most of the water will come out in the pan while cooking
Steam cabbage for about 3-5 minutes
set aside to allow excess water to drain off. Meanwhile cut up sausage, shallot or onion and garlic
Toss sausage into medium hot skillet and once some of the fat begins to cook out add in shallots and garlic
sauté garlic and onion while browning the garlic and shallots. If fat starts to dry in pan toss a little olive oil in to help it out
After shallots and garlic have browned add in shredded cabbage. Season the dish with the salt, pepper and smoke paprika
Add in 2 TB olive oil and 1 TB butter. Cook the cabbage to the texture and color you'd like. I have seen about 5-7 minutes work great and still keep a little crunch
Helpful Recipe Tips
- You can skip steaming the cabbage altogether. The purpose for this is to lose as much water as possible. Steaming first and allowing to drain will assist with this.
- Caramelize your onion and your garlic. This just takes the flavor to another level. Make sure they are fully caramelized before adding in cabbage.
- Olive oil is cold pressed extra virgin and butter can be salted or unsalted
- Note that sausage does contain salt so keep that in mind when preparing the dish.
Leave a rating and comment, thank you