This spinach and artichoke keto egg bake is perfect for an easy breakfast recipe! Getting your cruciferous vegetables in and making spinach taste good at the same time. Not to mention its low carb and keto friendly.
I remember growing up and my mother making a sausage egg bake for breakfast. It was super easy for her to do. She would whip it up the night before then pop it in the oven the next morning.
Not to mention I also remember my mother introducing the family to spinach and artichoke dip.
As a child I was rather hesitant and didn’t bother to try it into my adult years. Man! I missed out! Now whenever I go out to eat and someone else buys it I have some.
Oh! That’s right! Why not buy it myself?
I’m cheap. No, I like it but even before keto I knew I would go to the max. Not only in the dip but in addition the chips to go with it. And I love tortilla chips! I can eat them by the handful.
This spinach and artichoke keto egg bake is great for keto!
- It’s an easy keto breakfast recipe! It is hard enough finding things to eat then you have to find items to fit your macros. This recipe does them both!
- Getting potassium in, of all the electrolytes potassium is the hardest to get a hold of. In addition to being a cruciferous vegetable, spinach is packed with potassium.
- Eggs high in Omega 3’s! We get so many Omega 6’s in our diet. The ratio is so thrown out of whack. Food items like salmon, cod liver oil and eggs help with that.
How to make this keto egg bake:
First, you will need spinach! I went with fresh spinach for the recipe then cooked it before adding into the keto egg bake.
Next, you will need to break down your artichoke hearts out of the can. They will come in bulbs that just aren’t prepared for eating in a dish such as this one. So, breaking them apart with your hand and spreading them will be ideal.
Already chopped green onion is a perfect way to keep this an easy recipe. I grabbed some already cleaned and cut then tossed in a quarter of a cup.
The cheese comes next! Now I only used a half of a cup but feel free to add more. Who doesn’t love cheese and eggs? I went with parmesan here to give it the richness associated with spinach and artichoke dips.
Lastly, the eggs come into play. I added a quarter of a cup of sour cream to the eggs. Not to mention the seasoning I used. Which happened to be salt and garlic. Pretty simple right?
Bake the meal at 300ºF for about 20-30 minutes. Oven will vary, yet mine took the full 30 minutes. I’d hate to tell you 30 minutes and you get a burned egg loaf. Can you say nasty?
- Using a different cheese. Honestly, a great alternative would be mozzarella. Cheddar cheese works great with eggs as well!
- You can use kale in the place of spinach
- You can use real garlic instead of garlic powder. I went the garlic powder route so that the flavor could easily be distributed throughout the keto egg bake. But, if you prefer actual garlic I don’t fault you there.
- You can always add more eggs if it fits your casserole dish
- Substitute fresh spinach for frozen
- Keep a close eye on eggs. Due to oven temps varying I can’t stress this enough. You don’t want to scorch your eggs it is never a pleasant taste.
- Adding too much spinach or artichokes. Be mindful that there are ratios at play here. If you love spinach and want to add more great. Just know this WILL affect your cooking time due to the eggs being thinned out throughout the dish.
- I used a 9×9 baking dish. If you have something larger you may want to increase the portions in the recipe. If not it’s fine but baking time will change in a larger dish and increase in a smaller one.
Spinach and Artichoke Keto Egg Bake
- 4 cups fresh spinach (or 4 oz of frozen)
- 2-3 bulbs artichoke hearts from can
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 8 large Eggs
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- cook spinach down in skillet. You can use a little oil here if you want (1 tsp) but spinach has water in it
- tear apart your artichoke hearts for even spreading throughout casserole dish. Then spread shredded cheese and chopped green onion throughout casserole dish as well.
- Blend all 8 eggs together along with salt and garlic powder. Then add in sour cream
- Pour eggs into casserole dish and place in oven for 20-30 minutes
- Allow to cool and settle when it comes out
- If using real garlic spread out the casserole dish as well
- oven times will vary so keep an eye on keto egg bake.