This low carb strawberry shortcake is easy to make and completely sugar free. Keto approved with under 5g net carbs per serving. Topped with strawberries in a homemade syrup and whipped cream. This low carb dessert will make you forget it’s actually good for you!
I think all the ladies will go crazy for this one. In fact, I know they will!
Truthfully, women love strawberries. Men do as well provided that our wives bring them into the house. Speaking for a friend.
Strawberry shortcake I can’t say is my favorite. I’ve always been a german chocolate, devil’s food, red velvet sort of guy. Although if there was a strawberry shortcake around I had to have a piece.
Certainly everyone knows the best parts are the strawberries sweetened in the syrup, and whipped cream. The cake plays the role of the neglected child. No one pays any attention to it but the house wouldn’t be the same without you!
Surely, I really worried while making this. I knew I’d use my famous almond and coconut flour mixture. But would it be enough? Would it take away from the total dish?
Low Carb Strawberry Shortcake
If you’re reading this I pulled it off!
The cake turned out perfect. I even had my mother taste and approve just the cake itself. A buttery, vanilla cake was what I aimed for. Heavy cream was added to help that vanilla out and give the cake a fuller taste. I can’t taste it but that extra fat put the moisture on 1000.
Even though the cake is extra moist, it holds up well. Not being too sure how it would work, but it acts a perfect sponge for our toppings.
Next would be the whipped cream. I cheated and I feel ashamed!
Not really, I have a cool whip copycat, but I just didn’t feel like going back to ground zero. I had already made the cake and the strawberries. I was ready to eat!
Cool Whip is 3g net carbs per 2 tablespoons. For one serving I only used a teaspoon. I think we will live you guys. But for those that don’t want that much or any additives I completely understand.
Are strawberries ok on keto?
Although strawberries are a fruit and contain natural sugars, they are relatively low. Only a cup of sliced strawberries are 8g net carbs. That’s not bad, because you won’t eat the entire cup for just a serving.
Not even a fourth of that honestly!
Low carb strawberry shortcake seemed as if it wouldn’t be possible. Sugar free things don’t always taste very well. But this taste amazing. The addition of monk fruit and stevia add the touch of sweetness you’re looking for. Allow to have the fresh scent of strawberries fill your kitchen. The allow the wonderful taste of a excellent low carb dessert hit your palate!
per slice topped with strawberries without whipped cream
Net carb 3g
Low Carb Strawberry Shortcake
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour (I used this)
- 2 tablespoon Coconut flour (I used this)
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sweetener (I used this)
- 1/4 teaspoon Xanthan gum (I used this)
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup Heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Liquid stevia (I used this)
- 2 large Eggs
- Preheat oven at 300 degrees F
- all dry ingredients combine almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, salt, granulated sweetener, and xanthan gum. Mix
- wet ingredients combine unsalted butter, heavy cream, unsweetened almond milk, vanilla extract, liquid stevia, and eggs. Mix
- Add dry and wet together
- In a 8X8 baking pan lined with parchment paper or something to prevent sticking add in contents
- place in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes checking with toothpick at 20 minute mark. Top may not be very brown as a indicator the cake is done so use toothpick
- Allow to cool
Strawberries in syrup
- Mix granulated sweetener and xanthan gum together
- Add in cold water while mixing quickly with other hand as in video to prevent clumping
- add in sliced strawberries and mix around
- On a low to medium heat cook while stirring often for about 5 minutes, add stevia at this point also
- After the "syrup" turns pink pull off and if you have strawberry extract now is the time to add
- Allow to cool as well and when both cake and mixture are cool enjoy!